WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

• 2 weeks later...

She's alive! But of course where there's ups, there's downs. After firing it up, i noticed a huge fuel leak up in engine bay. I shut it down immediately. Garage floor is covered in fuel and the garage smells horrible. I will need another set of eyes to determine where the leak is. For now I have oil dri on the floor and a box fan running. I will let it dry out/evaporate and hopefully the fumes go away too. Then I will diagnose the leak tonight or tomorrow.

Shes alive.mp4

She's alive! But of course where there's ups, there's downs. After firing it up, i noticed a huge fuel leak up in engine bay. I shut it down immediately. Garage floor is covered in fuel and the garage smells horrible. I will need another set of eyes to determine where the leak is. For now I have oil dri on the floor and a box fan running. I will let it dry out/evaporate and hopefully the fumes go away too. Then I will diagnose the leak tonight or tomorrow.

Shes alive.mp4

I can't see said video

So Brian and I determined the leak to be the hose clamp on the fuel rail supply line. It's digging into the hose and not clamping it securely. I have the leak at the stupid fitting adapter where the hose meets the hard line, so I'll knock out 2 birds with 1 stone and fix both right away.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I have decided to overhaul the (almost) entire fuel delivery system. I have been wanting to get rid of the fuel accumulator that the oem kjet fuel system uses, but is not necessary for EFI and with the fuel hard lines looking a little crusty, now is the time. Here is what I will be replacing..

Remove bosch motorsports external fuel pump and replace with Walbro 255 external pump (ordered).

Remove e21 fuel filter (banjo fittings) and replace with e30 fuel filter (barb fittings).

Remove e21 fuel accumulator, not needed anymore.

Remove crusty fuel hard lines from tank to engine bay and replace with new hard lines. Got a quote from Blunttech for $105 shipped from germany for OEM prebent lines. I will be checking out the napa easy bend lines when I pick up the fuel filter and make my decision then.

Replace fuel hoses and clamps from hard lines to fuel rail and fpr with new.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up being able to fix it after picking up a better bender. The return line was prebent, but the supply line was not. Not sure why bmw did this as they both have almost identical bends. I was able to save 10 out of the 12 mounting clip bushings, which is better than I expected. The screw broke off in the other 2 and there wasn't any way to get it out. Shouldn't be an issue tho. So I cleaned up the underbody surface while the lines were out and painted/underbody coated it all. I also painted the lines to help prevent corrosion starting. I should be able to get the lines back in this week and put the tanks back in.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk