WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

Yeah I finally got some free time this past weekend. Once I get the mandrel exhaust pieces in the mail I will be diving into this more. I feel like if I cut off the ebrake cable tube from underside of floor that I may be able to squeeze the pipe between the subframe, floor and diff, which would be ideal. But won't know until then. Crossing my fingers.

Picked up the ceramic coated manifold with turbo adapter from @Snap. I'm excited to get this on and see how it fits. I ordered new manifold gaskets from @andyhundley which I will pickup today and also ordered an EWG v band block off plate since my turbo is internally gated. From comparing the old manfold with the new, looks like the new one has the turbo flange clocked just a hair more towards the fender. I'll make it work nonetheless of course.

29f0571044a23a225f833d48bd0d35c8.jpg

0d7def410d3c9f2f0e28cca42960e80a.jpg

ba7cbb976d2e71807f70160d3bf5d320.jpg

58f307196a9d794abdb9d2ddcb364fc2.jpg

Worked on the turbo adapter manifold fiasco some more. Looks like we're in business afterall. Manifold wasn't fitting with the studs installed in head, so I had to pull them all and switch to socket head screws. Once the manifold was temporarily fitted, it was uncomfortably close to the frame. Some sectioning was done, and welded up to keep it's strength. Some clearancing for the internal wastegate was need as well, the BFH fixed that as well. Everything was prepped and painted too. Tomorrow should be the day the manifold goes back on for good as well as the turbo. Exhaust leak fixed!2409d301b72b8986fdb69b8a53d379d7.jpg91d074cf3294f9fd63270587a50c8b9d.jpgfc125a15c615cd4cc02ffe5ce24828d3.jpg0bb5c63a96e33f79c74ecd5e933714bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Whut is dis^

A fellow e21 group 2 owner from BF was selling his front end setup due to purchasing a molded group 2 setup from overseas. Since his fenders and front valance had already been drilled and modified to fit the kit, I decided to grab them. I ended up making a JPS livery decal set for his E34 and a Martini Racing livery decal set for his group 2 e21 in exchange for his fenders, valance and cash. Saves me work and lots of time hopefully. 

Yesterday I sent my mechanical speedometer over to North Hollywood Speedometer thanks to the recommendation from @andyhundley. They will be able to do a mechanical to electronic conversion to it without changing the aesthetics. Tracking says they should be receiving it tomorrow. Then I should be hearing from them on the cost and turn around time before they begin the work. I'm excited since I have been trying to figure out the best/easiest/cheapest way to do it. 

1 hour ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Yesterday I sent my mechanical speedometer over to North Hollywood Speedometer thanks to the recommendation from @andyhundley. They will be able to do a mechanical to electronic conversion to it without changing the aesthetics. Tracking says they should be receiving it tomorrow. Then I should be hearing from them on the cost and turn around time before they begin the work. I'm excited since I have been trying to figure out the best/easiest/cheapest way to do it. 

That's interesting. I would really like to see how this is done. Do they just ad a sensor to the cluster with a harness?

• 2 weeks later...

Morning started out by lowering the car onto jack stands in order to switch out the flat lift pads for the tallest set. This allows more space between the car and lift for exhaust work. Worked like a charm.

aa38c213bc10d987f20102edb691c919.jpg

I ended up getting the front half of the exhaust fitted and tack welded together up to the middle resonator.

3d3831eacd1e997de4860146b07f0acf.jpg

I will need to take about 1.5" out of the vertical section of the downpipe in order to bring the entire exhaust up tighter against the bottom of car. Sits too low for my taste as is.

24fb65602dd8ab60cfa4e9458b82631f.jpg

I then attempted to see if I could run the exhaust over the rear subframe. I cut a portion of the ebrake cable tube off which gave a hair more space. In order to make this happen, I would need a section of pipe in the shape shown below that is ovaled out. This would clear everything with the exhaust slightly touching the subframe. Not sure if that will be a bad idea or not with potential vibration and noise. What do you think?

1c3ab6cad5922ae8838ceb7a8d25f605.jpg

I will be fabbing up some exhaust today. I have my 3" downpipe and vibrant resonator welded up but it terminates right behind the driver seat. I already tacked under the axle portion. There is not much clearance between driveshaft and body right before the rear subframe. I will need to oval that 3" to keep the clearance. I should be done today. Will shoot some pictures later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk