WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

rear end is back in the car, camber adjustments arbitrarily set to the middle and is already way better than before. I'm in the process of torquing all bolts to spec and just have the driveshaft to diff, axle castle nuts and toe adjustments bolts to torque down. I need to do either some clearancing to the subframe mount plate or make a custom wrench in order to tighten/adjust the tow bolt. Between the subframe bushing mount bolt and the mounting plate, makes it impossible to get a normal wrench on the bolt. Once that's all done, just gotta fill diff with fluid and *crossing fingers* everything should finally be done and I can move onto engine stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had ANY time to work on this thing the last few weeks. I finally got the front wheels/tires on and my old setup sold to recoup some cash. All that is left on the rear end is to fill the diff with fluid and bolt up the driveshaft to the diff.

I have been brainstorming exhaust ideas and not sure what I will do yet. One thought is side exit right in front of the rear wheel, but I would want it to be super quiet which seems hard for a side exit. The reason I consider it is because with the new e30 diff conversion, I no longer can route the exhaust above the subframe, it must go underneath, which I am afraid will hang too low for comfort. Just brainstorming right now. I guess I won't know until I get the car up and look underneath again.

Hmm I'm liking that that first one you posted its body is only 4" vs the 6" of the correct one. The 4" would keep it tucked up where it doesn't hang lower than the floor under the car. I'll have to ponder this.

I've been brainstorming with Brian and we thought that I could run an oval section under rear subframe so it doesn't hang as low. Trouble is I'm having a hard time finding a 2.5" transition adapter to go from round to oval. Then another to go back to round after subframe.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The stock routing goes over the rear subframe, then under the half-shaft. With the work that he's done in that area, and the larger-than-stock tubing, it would be a tight squeeze. Running it under the subframe works but it's pretty close to the ground at that point. Thankfully, I raised my subframe a couple inches, so I shouldn't have this issue... :rolleyes:

^^^ What he said

I ordered the flowmaster HP-2 resonator and am just waiting on a call from the company that makes the frame clearance tubing as they may be able to save me time and money.

Can't wait to hear those puppies, I'm think about putting them on the e38

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to remove the turbo and manifold to see where the exhaust leak is coming from while I wait for mandrel bent exhaust pieces to come in the mail.

This may explain why my car sounded like a diesel engine last summer. Holy exhaust leak/shitty alignment batman!!!!! Don't do eBay manifolds, just don't!

I'm picking up@snap old ceramic coated manifold and turbo adapter for piece of mind. Ordering new exhaust manifold gaskets too. 606de225c0a74df03426ceaa7dc15f2f.jpg7276fe8bf18379821be844f294a8aef6.jpg7fb11cca98d79ba15f3a1fd00622f13b.jpg

That's a good point. I bet you are right with that one. All I know is that it spooled pretty decently like this, so I'm anxious to find out what it does with a proper manifold.

I just won a lot of 2.5" SS mandrel bent pipe on eBay consisting of 2 180 bends, 1 45 bend and 4 90 bends all for $35 plus shipping. Should be plenty for what i need to make my exhaust.