WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I done did it now... A new toy!

patsbimmer1

I seriously thought about boosting my e36 but a full blown project just wasn't appealing to me. Flat out speed was not what I was looking for when I was looking for a car. I wanted something that I can have for awhile, mod slightly and enjoy. Life is coming at me pretty quick right now and a project car isn't on my radar... yet.

Even out of warranty it should be done. Shoot an email to BMW NA and let them know you have a factory sport package early model 07 335i and it did not come with an oil cooler and you are concerned with the oil temps and you are wondering if you are eligible for a free retrofit. From what I have heard this typically takes a few months but is usually resolved favorably.

customerrelations@bmwusa.com

I called them and got no where. I will try shooting them a email. Thanks

n series is by far the modern day version of the 2jz. There are people running over 700 at the wheels on stock internals. We still haven't found the limit of the N54 yet. It uses cast pistons but the crank and rods are forged with relatively strong bearings. You can reliably run well north of 500 for a longer period of time than you ever will a NA bmw motor with aftermarket boost (unless you rebuild the engine). There's an enormous difference in an engine that was built for turbo with low-mid range torque peaked for 5k rpm straight, and a naturally aspirated motor that you try to apply boost to. 

The reliability as a DD is going to be far superior with a modded N54 than a modded NA motor with a turbo - the N54's stock injectors, fuel pump, and turbos can handle upwards of 20 psi + 30% E85 mixtures reliably. The entire turbo system is built for low-mid range power - you can zip around town sub-3k rpm and still get after it when you need to. I've seen complete teardowns on n54s running 500 wtq at 130k miles that had perfect compression, sleeves were still good, etc. There aren't many cars you can buy, add 200+ wtq to and run reliably for 90k miles. When the only thing you end up replacing are some injectors and a fuel pump or two, I consider that a win. The stock clutch is good to 500 as well. 

I've had enough experience boosting cars that weren't boosted from the factory, it causes way more headaches than it is worth most of the time - it has to be a labor of love and creativity at that point for troubleshooting and wrenching on your car  :D Nothing wrong with that, but to me that becomes a project car, not a DD. If you want a sweet BMW DD with power, save yourself the hassle and get something with an N series. 

n series is by far the modern day version of the 2jz. There are people running over 700 at the wheels on stock internals. We still haven't found the limit of the N54 yet. It uses cast pistons but the crank and rods are forged with relatively strong bearings. You can reliably run well north of 500 for a longer period of time than you ever will a NA bmw motor with aftermarket boost (unless you rebuild the engine). There's an enormous difference in an engine that was built for turbo with low-mid range torque peaked for 5k rpm straight, and a naturally aspirated motor that you try to apply boost to. 

The reliability as a DD is going to be far superior with a modded N54 than a modded NA motor with a turbo - the N54's stock injectors, fuel pump, and turbos can handle upwards of 20 psi + 30% E85 mixtures reliably. The entire turbo system is built for low-mid range power - you can zip around town sub-3k rpm and still get after it when you need to. I've seen complete teardowns on n54s running 500 wtq at 130k miles that had perfect compression, sleeves were still good, etc. There aren't many cars you can buy, add 200+ wtq to and run reliably for 90k miles. When the only thing you end up replacing are some injectors and a fuel pump or two, I consider that a win. The stock clutch is good to 500 as well. 

I've had enough experience boosting cars that weren't boosted from the factory, it causes way more headaches than it is worth most of the time - it has to be a labor of love and creativity at that point for troubleshooting and wrenching on your car  :D Nothing wrong with that, but to me that becomes a project car, not a DD. If you want a sweet BMW DD with power, save yourself the hassle and get something with an N series.

I completely agree with you, except for on one thing. Stock clutch does not hold 500wtq... ask me how I know ;)

The N54 is the best bang for the buck. Literally. $2k gets you an 11 second car that can be daily driven. My car has yet to lose a race against anyone around here. Supercharged Mustangs, modded Challengers and Chargers, APR tuned S4, SRT4's, M5's, even other FBO N54's. The torque is intoxicating and the 1-series makes me smile every single time.

No headaches, part failures, or broken shit since I bought it. 9k miles of abuse and it loves every second of it. Went from stock to 75% E85, 15 degrees advanced timing, and 17lbs of boost with bolt ons. My only car and I daily it. I see pictures of N54's that still have crosshatching in the cylinder walls after 100k modded miles, everything still in great condition. It's such a robust motor. I haven't even had any fuel issues (injectors, fuel pump, etc.)

I wanted to turbo a 328is E36 and went this route instead. Couldn't be happier with my choice.

Emailed BMW NA about the oil cooler retro fit and this was their response

Although we empathize with your situation, we cannot offer assistance in this case. Should you have specific concerns regarding your vehicle, we suggest contacting the service team at your authorized BMW center. A list of our authorized BMW centers categorized by name, state or ZIP Code can be found on our website at: www.bmwusa.com, under “Dealer Locator.”

Now what

I completely agree with you, except for on one thing. Stock clutch does not hold 500wtq... ask me how I know ;)

The N54 is the best bang for the buck. Literally. $2k gets you an 11 second car that can be daily driven. My car has yet to lose a race against anyone around here. Supercharged Mustangs, modded Challengers and Chargers, APR tuned S4, SRT4's, M5's, even other FBO N54's. The torque is intoxicating and the 1-series makes me smile every single time.

No headaches, part failures, or broken shit since I bought it. 9k miles of abuse and it loves every second of it. Went from stock to 75% E85, 15 degrees advanced timing, and 17lbs of boost with bolt ons. My only car and I daily it. I see pictures of N54's that still have crosshatching in the cylinder walls after 100k modded miles, everything still in great condition. It's such a robust motor. I haven't even had any fuel issues (injectors, fuel pump, etc.)

I wanted to turbo a 328is E36 and went this route instead. Couldn't be happier with my choice.

This thing has put nothing but smiles on my face so far! I ran a b5 s4 on my way home from picking it up and from 65 to 120 i had him the whole way! My zhp and cf parking brake handle came yesterday and I ordered some 3m di-noc carbon wrap today to cover up the wood trim. Once the turbos are replaced next week I can start planning my engine mods.

My favorite part so far is the lack of complaining my wife does and the little giggles I get from her when I pin the gas!

Although we empathize with your situation, we cannot offer assistance in this case. Should you have specific concerns regarding your vehicle, we suggest contacting the service team at your authorized BMW center. A list of our authorized BMW centers categorized by name, state or ZIP Code can be found on our website at: www.bmwusa.com, under “Dealer Locator.”

Now what

I would ask them if they did any oil cooler retro fits and if they did then why wont they do it for you. Doing a quick search online yields a few success stories so far but you really need to be persistant with them.

Now what

I would ask them if they did any oil cooler retro fits and if they did then why wont they do it for you. Doing a quick search online yields a few success stories so far but you really need to be persistant with them.

This thing has put nothing but smiles on my face so far! I ran a b5 s4 on my way home from picking it up and from 65 to 120 i had him the whole way! My zhp and cf parking brake handle came yesterday and I ordered some 3m di-noc carbon wrap today to cover up the wood trim. Once the turbos are replaced next week I can start planning my engine mods.

My favorite part so far is the lack of complaining my wife does and the little giggles I get from her when I pin the gas!

Wait til you add JB4. I'm telling you... JB4 + DCI + downpipes/exhaust + E85 = nuts.

I have a pretty aggressive backend flash that helps too.

Not really any big gains to be add from exhaust, but if you have the extra cash. Why not get one? Jake did you get a FMIC yet? Thats next on my list. I went down by Bob Saturday and put in a SteveAZ kit and BMS flash. Cars pullin way more now. Lovin it. He supposed to be getting in touch with Wedge to write me up something wicked. Can't wait.

Not really any big gains to be add from exhaust, but if you have the extra cash. Why not get one? Jake did you get a FMIC yet? Thats next on my list. I went down by Bob Saturday and put in a SteveAZ kit and BMS flash. Cars pullin way more now. Lovin it. He supposed to be getting in touch with Wedge to write me up something wicked. Can't wait.

I have the full 3" Riss Racing exhaust. No rear cats and better flow. Probably picked up a few ponies, but BMW did pretty good on the factory exhaust.

But no, I didn't get a FMIC yet. It's on the top of my list to order next spring. That, a clutch, and a charge pipe/BOV.

The pump and BMS E85 flash is a nice kick in the pants. Wedge flash is even better... glad you're enjoying the car!

Just looked up the golf tee mod....awesome=P 

Hahaha!  Yup!  And it actually made a difference!  My buddy that drove me down has a 07 335xi in Jet Black and he saw me do this and looked confused so without saying anything I popped his trunk and pulled the plug and told him to start the car.  He was ecstatic lol

I can't wait till they figure out the fuel system in these so they can actually put down some decent power. 700hp is cool and all but they ones i have seen are using race gas and meth injection haha. 

Once they figure that out then I can't wait to see all the t4 twin scroll builds with 1000hp :) Supposedly the trans is up for the task. And we haven't seen the edge of the motor yet so I am only assuming north of 800 as the m52 has gotten there many a time. 

I dropped my car off at Zimbrick last night to have the turbo's looked at and I just got confirmation that they are going to replace them for free under the 8yr/82k extended warranty!  In the mean time I have a 2015 X3 xdrive35i with all the bell's and whistles.  I must say, for an SAV it's picks up pretty good!  I don't hate driving it but I definitely prefer my 335i.