WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I done did it now... A new toy!

patsbimmer1

• 3 weeks later...

I made it through another track day without blowing up.  I started in novice again and I was quickly moved in to intermediate.  The car felt great and I felt like I was in the zone all day.  By the end of the day I was consistently in the low 1:30's.  I did end up leaving early because the car felt a little light in the front end in my last session.  When I got home I found that my FR strut bolt was loose and my strut pulled out about an inch from the knuckle!  All in all it was a great day to be at Blackhawk Farms and I look forward to getting there again in September!

• 1 month later...

I had another track day on 9/13 at Blackhawk Farms again and bested my times from August!  This was my first full day in the intermediate class so I went from being one of the faster guys in the class to being passed more than I was doing passing. I'm fairly competitive and I had to keep reminding myself that you only win a track day by going home in one piece.  I got into 1:29's and the car didn't break so the day was a win!

My brakes started to show that they're still the weakest link on the car at the end of the day and started to get a little glazed. Regardless of this, each session was all really consistent. I installed CAtuned adjustable sway bar links up front after my oem links got destroyed during the track day in August.    

This car continues to draw compliments from other drivers but only because people are shocked that a car this big and boring can move as quick as it does.  My instructor from last time was telling a group of us how shocked he was at how fast the car is along with the owner of the Lotus that passes me in the video coming up to me later in the day to telling me how shocked he was at how fast it was.  Feels good but at the same time I'd love to be talking about how flat it corners or confidently it stops. It's a great daily but as so many before me have learned, this is not a track car without some serious money being spent.  I need a racing seat, better brakes, less weight, stiffer rear subframe bushings at least, square wheels with sticky tires, etc and so goes the rabbit down the hole. My brother in law came with and let me use his gopro while he took pics.  

Without further ado here's the most boring track day video ever.