WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Turbo missing under load

Jeff

Question

So I have a bunch if missing under load on the e36. Found out I didn't hook my wastegate up correctly had the line on the wrong port. Fixed that now have about 10-12psi sweet right well no!

It misses from 3200-5000 my afr goes to 9:1-9:5 5000 it stops missing and shoots to 12:1-13:1 not good plenty of power after it stops missing. What causes the missing? Fixes? Suggestion?

According to Brody @ Miller, it made the most sense for how they set things up (apparently its injector pw). They would know better than we would, but regardless having TPS or MAP on the load axis makes it immensely easier to diagnose and tune since if you have a rich spot that occurs around 4000 rpm and 10psi, you can convert 10psi to kPa and take a look at the fueling table real easily. 

According to Brody @ Miller, it made the most sense for how they set things up (apparently its injector pw). They would know better than we would, but regardless having TPS or MAP on the load axis makes it immensely easier to diagnose and tune since if you have a rich spot that occurs around 4000 rpm and 10psi, you can convert 10psi to kPa and take a look at the fueling table real easily.

Tune my car for me

Re gapped the plugs to .22 was over .35? No good

Miller blows don't care for it.

Time to re tune it hard when it's missing and hoes from rich to lean in a second.

9:1 isn't going to cause a misfire. My turbo car very briefly sees 8.5:1 at toe-in and I haven't bothered to tune it out. Also running the miller war chip.

Is it consistent?
Stock fuel pump?

What engine? 

Perhaps I could send you my tune to try but my car runs a little different than most. 

My advice is to load the base map and work from scratch. Adjusting the timing is not the right thing to do here despite above advice. There's a 99% chance this is mechanical and not tune related. I would start with trying another TPS. Check MAF voltages for proper readings and try different plugs. 

Personally I have this same exact issue when cold because I run hot plugs (forget exact model right now, though, sorry) 

You are just going to pop that motor unless you get a proper tune in there. Get the miller maf ($300) and 60# siemens injectors ($220) and start with the base tune. It will probably solve all of your problems unless you have some underlying mechanical issues like the TPS 

We'll understanding that my injectors are tiny it has been like this for over a year now no popped motor yet.

I do agree in need to upgrade the injectors at least.

I did figure out my issue though I loaded the wrong file into the chip. Have to tweak the tune in higher rpm at wot but back to the normal afr'a of 10.5-11 untill 5k where it goes to 12.5-13

24#ers are probably only going to support 8psi max before the duty cycle gets craycray. I bump 100% duty cycle at 12psi on 33#  injectors @43.5psi fuel pressure

24#ers are probably only going to support 8psi max before the duty cycle gets craycray. I bump 100% duty cycle at 12psi on 33#  injectors @43.5psi fuel pressure

This. Im surprised you can even run lean with the injectors wide open and 10-12PSI. 

You should just buy my ms3x and be done with this war chip nonsense :)