WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

WI Bimmer center caps

patsbimmer1

So I had an idea last week to make center caps out of the WI BImmers logo so I contacted Chris (CYoung) to ask permission to use the logo and after some ideas being thrown back and forth he volunteered to get the vinyls cut for me by Dave (bassboy3313) and send them to me.  Well I got the vinyls in the mail this week and spent this weekend making them.

Well I though this would be as simple as taking apart my old caps and putting the vinyls on... not so much.  First of all, the vinyls don't stick very well to the plastic even after scuffing them up so I had to put my thinking cap on.

I ran to Advance Auto and found emblem glue.  It worked great to stick the vinyl to the center cap and did so without disfiguring the sticker when it dried.

20140614_1245171_zps62250e0c.jpg

This is after it dried on the center cap.

I was concerned about weather proofing them so I shot them with 2 medium coats of clear and I still wasn't satisfied.  I drank some beer and thought about it.  Flying dog sampler pack and KCCO Black Lager to be exact.

IMG_20140613_2011501_zps5378fe99.jpg

After drinking said beers I had an idea!  I needed some kind of clear epoxy that would dry hard so to Hobby Lobby it was... The next morning of course.

I found Jewelry epoxy and thought I would give it a try.  And this was the result...

20140614_1638211_zps6a108623.jpg

Voila!  The OEM look I wanted!

After 3 hours they were solid but still a little tacky so I let them sit over night and they are solid!

On the wheel.

20140614_1445581_zps68e345f0.jpg

I also did a city light mod.

20140615_2032581_zpsaf3672fa.jpg

20140615_2059341_zps6504d8c5.jpg

I like it the center caps!  Lets get these in the store, you could also sell them finished like you did and make some side money for da beers!

I would be more than happy to do these for people!  I think there are some details that I would need to work out as far as a supply chain but I'm all for it.

I like it the center caps!  Lets get these in the store, you could also sell them finished like you did and make some side money for da beers!

That's the idea! I don't think vinyl is the right medium though so its still in the prototype phase. It was hard for Dave to cut and layer and I'd like to find something that's easier to apply to the plastic as Pat stated.

Very cool. I think it would be awesome to have the Wisconsin logo larger and remove the BMW text... then I'd buy some for sure!

So just the logo on a white background? That can be done. Working on a couple variations as there are different sized center caps and I wanna do overlays for the hood/trunk roundels too. 

Thanks Pat for bringing the idea back! Can't wait to see these in person. 

• 3 weeks later...