WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got an engine light due to the secondary air pump not being a contributing member of the s54 system due to its permanent vacation. Frank Smith sent over a new tune to take care of the problem. Uploaded it yesterday and 100% fixed the M3 after the motor swap just in time for the snow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On 11/19/2016 at 8:28 PM, DrLeadFoot said:

Got an engine light due to the secondary air pump not being a contributing member of the s54 system due to its permanent vacation. Frank Smith sent over a new tune to take care of the problem. Uploaded it yesterday and 100% fixed the M3 after the motor swap just in time for the snow.

haha!  I love that explanation!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I hear this is an SMG E46, how's that treating you? I want to be in the market later this year and am undecided on manual vs SMG.

For how I use the car I love the SMG. I usually put on about 2500-3000 a month being a Realtor and driving all over SE WI.

I lost compression and put in a "new" motor 2 winters ago. After the swap my SMG pump went bad. Then my gear selector rod bent on the install. So needed a new one of those. All is well now.

With all the people swapping the 6 speed there are "cheaper" SMG parts available.

Most people never have to replace an S54 or diagnose an SMG system in their lives. But very few people get to daily drive an E46 M3

It is a true joy.

Need a new drivers side caliper. Haven't checked the passenger side but might do that one as well. Apparently there is a required computer bleeding program for any e46. I really don't want a newer model BMW after the e46 as this one is tip toeing on the deep end of all computer everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...