WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

On 1/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, m42b32 said:

Sub'd!

On 1/17/2018 at 1:49 PM, jc43089 said:

On 1/17/2018 at 8:27 PM, Snap said:

Liked and subscribed! 559

When you hit 1000 they send you an E92 rc car with a youtube livery on it

On 1/17/2018 at 11:22 PM, Rekpoint said:

Damn my other channel is only at 726. :C

Edit : Watched your videos and I want a 135 now...

Thanks everyone! I don't wanna let you down, so I put together a brief build update and showed off my new single turbo kit. First time doing something like this, so let me know what you think!

I know I'm one of the few N54 owners on this forum, but I'm going to keep sharing my build updates. My buddy Lee has been helping me behind the scenes on some stuff due to my lack of motivation. He's a certified BMW tech. Anyways, on to the updates.

We swapped over all the accessories from my previous motor. Injectors, water pump, HPFP, oil filter housing, tensioner, pullies, etc. Took a peek at the internals while we installed the new valve cover and oil pan gasket. Everything looked minty. Then we fitted the single turbo parts. Everything is coming together nicely. I'm going to walnut blast the intake valves this weekend, then it should be ready to go back into the car.

39188838834_389f678e1e_z.jpg

25027751877_b41519fdcd_z.jpg

25027745887_5fd3e7d552_z.jpg

39188845544_78bd317312_z.jpg

28118797739_d2bf5eb486_z.jpg

39866744002_9950de2ffb_z.jpg

I've decided to continue with the vlog-style videos for now. Here you can see the full kit installed, and I answer a question I've been asked a lot.

Watching the vlog later, just chiming in to let you know the other N54 owners are watching closely lol
I'll be in Appleton starting Feb 5th, if you ever need an extra hand just message me, I'd be excited to help out and learn the ins and outs of this stuff, I still won't have a place to do work on my own car for a while.

15 hours ago, Snap said:

This engine. Is this the engine that was owned by a rage drifter? And is the hpfp drive. Off the engine? Or is it electric? I dont know how to direct injection works.

Watching vlog now

Yes, this is the engine owned by a hoonigan. I'm glad that he only owned it for a short period of time, and it was enthusiast owned before that. Fingers crossed that it holds up.

HPFP is electric, not belt driven.

14 hours ago, Iceddragon said:

Watching the vlog later, just chiming in to let you know the other N54 owners are watching closely lol
I'll be in Appleton starting Feb 5th, if you ever need an extra hand just message me, I'd be excited to help out and learn the ins and outs of this stuff, I still won't have a place to do work on my own car for a while.

#N54GANG

Sounds good, I'm sure we'll see more of each other!

16 hours ago, suspenceful said:

I know I'm one of the few N54 owners on this forum, but I'm going to keep sharing my build updates.

That's okay, I think Im the only 1jz owner on this forum and its not stopping me. 

Im digging the updates and the vlogs. Im subscribed! 

Now I just have to persuade myself away from the persuasion of you and that a N54 persuading me to add an N54 powered BMW to my collection of pointless bmws. 

(say that 10X fast)

38 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

That's okay, I think Im the only 1jz owner on this forum and its not stopping me. 

Im digging the updates and the vlogs. Im subscribed! 

Now I just have to persuade myself away from the persuasion of you and that a N54 persuading me to add an N54 powered BMW to my collection of pointless bmws. 

(say that 10X fast)

Thanks man! I think the N54 is one of the best platforms I've ever experienced. It definitely has it's downfalls, but man I love this car.

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

18 hours ago, suspenceful said:

I know I'm one of the few N54 owners on this forum, but I'm going to keep sharing my build updates.

I'm the only M21 owner on this forum that I know of, doesn't stop me. 

It's more interesting seeing the stuff you don't work on all the time. 

Thanks everyone! Gonna keep plugging away at it so it's ready for spring. Still a lot of work and fine tuning to do.

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

We're you satisfied with the harbor freight abrasive blaster? Interested in picking one up. Congrats on the progress, can't wait to see this ripping down the runways again. 

Yeah, this is the second time I've used it for this job. I don't know how it would do in other scenarios though. It doesn't spray with insane power, but it gets the job done. I use a small pick to break up anything that the blaster couldn't remove.

Dry air is very important for blasting.  I have a Harbor Freight pot type blaster and it works well with my redneck air dryer.  In the linked post is a picture.  It is a piece of 4" PVC with a U of 3/4" copper pipe and  T at the bottom with a pipe coming out the side to have a place for water to pool.  Hang it up and fill it with ice and cold water for good heat transfer and have it between your main compressor and a secondary tank.  It works really well and cost very little.  I put a drain on the bottom of the PVC so when the ice is melted you can drain it into a bucket.

As someone who is overly technical that I find two things off in that video lol. Minor nuances really, but you aren't "turning the valves", and the starter jump thing shouldn't connect to ground, just jumping 12v to the solenoid. Why harbor freight decided to do a black and red wire for that button I will never know. 
That and if those walnut shell pieces are just "being around in the air" you should really wear a mask! 

It's impressive how gunked up those valves and ports get. What's the primary origin of the deposits? I know you don't have fuel spraying the valves like port injection, but is the stock PCV stuff really dumping that much crap into the intake of the turbo? 

Good video skills as always!