WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

20 minutes ago, Snap said:

Glad the twins sold. What are the specs on the clutch?

Me too, and I got a good price for them. Now I have a 50% less chance of my turbo(s) breaking.

As far as the clutch; less than 1,000 miles on a SPEC Stage 3+.

http://my1series.com/2017/06/26/bmw-n54-clutch-upgrade-spec-stage-3-with-mfactory-smfw/

5 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Jake I’m sure you mentioned it earlier, but was the failure on this engine?

I'm assuming you meant to ask "what was", but if not, correct me.

Low compression on cylinder #3. Ran fine, but had a slight miss to it. Dumped a tablespoon of oil down the hatch of #3 and compression went back up. Assuming it's a cracked ring or ringland. Don't have it ripped apart.

• 4 weeks later...

Something was left on my doorstep today! I'm honestly blown away by the quality and craftsmanship of this kit. The attention-to-detail is crazy. I've dealt with a lot of vendors on this platform and this was probably the nicest overall experience I've had. It shipped on time, came complete, and was packaged VERY nicely. I can't say the same about my previous expensive purchases. Super excited to get this installed for spring!

25782226948_5610794606_c.jpg

38945256744_c5fcc8d2ca_c.jpg

7 minutes ago, Snap said:

Yeah that stuff looks awesome! 

is this single aimed at just simplicity and reliability or for even more than the 600 or whatever HP you were making?

Since someone asked me "why go single now, after having upgraded twins" on another forum, I figured I'd post the answer here as well.

The biggest reason is because I don't want to have to do all of this work ever again. If one of the twins took a shit, I'd have to drop the subframe to remove everything and replace it. Now I'll have one turbo that can go bad, instead of two... and it'll be a lot easier to access if it does go bad. Aftermarket N54 twins aren't known to be reliable anyways. They also pile in torque down low. While it feels awesome, it's tough on the motor. I don't want to replace another motor. A larger single turbo should be a little easier on the motor.

I wasn't "wowed" by the twins. They were definitely faster, but it wasn't "OMG CRAZY". I know I'll be sacrificing some spool time, but when the boost hits it's going to feel great. If you're after linear power with modest goals, I think twins are a good choice. But I don't want to be pushing twins to their absolute limit just to achieve my goals. I'd rather put a larger single on and give it a lighter workout. I would still recommend the MMP twins, but I think I'll enjoy the single more. Plus, who doesn't like the look and sound?

I've ridden in an xi with I think a Precision 6467 and wow is the only response.  There is so much power when the boost builds, which is really quick, it's intense.  I rode in it when he was targeting slightly over 20PSI and I think he had run it up around 28 PSI at one point which was maybe around 750ish HP.  I don't know how it would even be driveable without AWD to get it to the ground.  

Are you running a spacer with port injection?  What is your goal with the 6266?

13 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

I've ridden in an xi with I think a Precision 6467 and wow is the only response.  There is so much power when the boost builds, which is really quick, it's intense.  I rode in it when he was targeting slightly over 20PSI and I think he had run it up around 28 PSI at one point which was maybe around 750ish HP.  I don't know how it would even be driveable without AWD to get it to the ground.  

Are you running a spacer with port injection?  What is your goal with the 6266?

Nice! I had MMP Stage 3 twins at 28psi before this, which was probably about 625whp. I could get tire spin in 3rd, so I'm sure it'll be the same case with this new setup. Eventually I need to upgrade from my 265 PSS to something stickier.

I am running a port injection kit with two Walbro 450s and a larger fuel line. The goal is 700whp, but I'll probably tone it back to about 650whp for my everyday map.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:06 PM, Daggerty said:

Are you running corn juice with this setup?

Yup, been running full E85 for a while now.

On 1/13/2018 at 10:16 PM, Iceddragon said:

Really excited for you!

My current end goal is still around mid 500s, would you recommend sticking with twins for that level? I didn't realize the aftermarket stuff was fragile as well, I guess I haven't done that much research yet.

Yeah, I'd go with a set of PURE turbos or the MMP twins I had. I wouldn't sacrifice the lag at that power level.

agree with @suspenceful, mid 500s target a reliable brand like PURE or MMP is good. Those power numbers aren't pushing the capacity at all on those turbos. Should be within efficiency rating and happy boost targets. 

Jake, the new turbo setup looks great, I definitely agree with the ease of wrenching. You and I can now both commiserate on this because we've been there - dropping subframes and shit just to get at turbos on the N5x platform FUCKING blows lolol. 

Do you have plans to throw the MFactory diff on this car? I actually can't even recall now what the factory diff limits are. I of course had a wavetrac lsd but I don't think that was built for as much torque as the MFactory was even, and it didn't matter because I was only at 500. 

I think you're making the right move going to a single because while you will still probably have some traction issues, overall the power delivery will be easier to manage because it will definitely be more linear. While it will spike some up top probably, it's way easier to roll into the power up top rather than dropping a gear and being in the midrange flooring it, and having a completely flat torque curve like the twins give where it just wants to send the car's backend kicking out every which direction. 

20 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

agree with @suspenceful, mid 500s target a reliable brand like PURE or MMP is good. Those power numbers aren't pushing the capacity at all on those turbos. Should be within efficiency rating and happy boost targets. 

Jake, the new turbo setup looks great, I definitely agree with the ease of wrenching. You and I can now both commiserate on this because we've been there - dropping subframes and shit just to get at turbos on the N5x platform FUCKING blows lolol. 

Do you have plans to throw the MFactory diff on this car? I actually can't even recall now what the factory diff limits are. I of course had a wavetrac lsd but I don't think that was built for as much torque as the MFactory was even, and it didn't matter because I was only at 500. 

I think you're making the right move going to a single because while you will still probably have some traction issues, overall the power delivery will be easier to manage because it will definitely be more linear. While it will spike some up top probably, it's way easier to roll into the power up top rather than dropping a gear and being in the midrange flooring it, and having a completely flat torque curve like the twins give where it just wants to send the car's backend kicking out every which direction. 

Thanks Jordan!

Yes, eventually I'd like to get an MFactory LSD in there. I think that will be one of the last pieces to this puzzle. I'd like to upgrade the suspension as well.

Pitty post.

YouTube just changed its monetization policy, now requiring 1,000 subscribers to be eligible for ad revenue. I’m only at 471 subscribers, can you help me by subscribing to my channel?

www.youtube.com/c/jakespence135

I promise it’ll be worth it! I have some cool videos on there about my 135i and will be posting tons of videos once I have my new Doc Race 6266 single turbo kit installed.