WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

This is amusing to me. 
I also fear for the condition of the motor slightly lol

Yeah, after figuring out it was him, my hope that it had been well taken care of went right out the window.

37067911653_ee8898fc9b_c.jpg

I think I'm gonna have to compression test this one on the stand before doing anything else... and look up the return policy.

I sorta know him, I was going to buy his white E92 when I was on the hunt for a 335. He told me his dad owns a truck shop of some kind, I can look up that conversation if you want/need, and that he does all his own work out of that shop. Edit: Just looked, the shop is called Toys for Trucks
I'd be curious to know how long ago that car was junked, because he just recently sold the white one I was going to buy, just before I sold my 330.

Good luck finding out more, hopefully the engine is sound. I want to see your car running (and I need your spare parts).

45 minutes ago, Earl said:

Wouldn't it be safe to say that any modded n54/n55 has been driven hard? Lol I mean, why add power to not use it

I'd say there's a difference between driven hard and abused. I drive the shit out of my car but I wouldn't say it gets abused. There's a certain level of care that has to go above and beyond what's normal if you're going to drive a car hard. 

15 hours ago, Earl said:

Wouldn't it be safe to say that any modded n54/n55 has been driven hard? Lol I mean, why add power to not use it

Yeah, but it's different when the car is actively maintained versus being put away wet. From what I've heard and seen of the previous owner, it isn't someone I'd like to buy a $3000 engine from... especially to rely on at high power levels.

15 hours ago, Iceddragon said:

I sorta know him, I was going to buy his white E92 when I was on the hunt for a 335. He told me his dad owns a truck shop of some kind, I can look up that conversation if you want/need, and that he does all his own work out of that shop. Edit: Just looked, the shop is called Toys for Trucks
I'd be curious to know how long ago that car was junked, because he just recently sold the white one I was going to buy, just before I sold my 330.

Good luck finding out more, hopefully the engine is sound. I want to see your car running (and I need your spare parts).

Gotcha. The car was wrecked at the very beginning of the year and junked a few months later. I think the scrapyard had it for a month or two now.

I still have full bolt ons for stock turbos for sale, and am contemplating selling my upgraded twin setup in exchange for a single turbo. 

14 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'd say there's a difference between driven hard and abused. I drive the shit out of my car but I wouldn't say it gets abused. There's a certain level of care that has to go above and beyond what's normal if you're going to drive a car hard. 

Exactly!

• 3 weeks later...

Started on this the other day. Took the whole front clip off. Drained oil and coolant. Removed intake, intercooler, intake manifold, injector and coil harness, disconnected coolant lines, vacuum lines, electrical clips, etc. Forgot the car has A/C stuff in it still so I quit and pushed it back in the corner.

I honestly haven't had much motivation to work on this car, I don't know why.

26469752239_bae8b75e74_c.jpg

38191051466_945f7545d6_c.jpg

38191053036_0a672fbe46_c.jpg

24374171678_7167c3ef42_c.jpg

38191055416_f368ecd4eb_c.jpg

On 10/16/2017 at 6:04 PM, Earl said:

Well, there's a difference between driving a car with power and abusing it. I did my last 135i up with plenty of power and never did a burnout, never raced from a dig, didn't look for roll races every 1/4 mile down the highway. I used the power on my own terms in open stretches or occasionally when I just wanted to rip it around someone on the highway. By no means did I abuse my car, which is a large reason why the new owner is still enjoying it to this day. There's a reason he told me "if it was anyone but you, I would never buy this car", because your average "enthusiast" modding an n54/n55 isn't really an enthusiast who cares - they just want to rip shit on the street like they are speed racer. I see the behavior in literally every other local 135 and 335 in my area. 

Car enthusiasts are like any other group of people - a few winners and a whole lot of losers. 

Fingers crossed for the new motor, Jake

1 hour ago, i_love_cars said:

. I see the behavior in literally every other local 135 and 335 in my area. 

I think what really makes the difference in the long run is the attitude towards maintenance. Frequent full throttle runs aren't going to kill a motor, but those full throttle pulls with oil that was supposed to be changed 2k miles ago is going to make it much worse. 
Same goes for the people that hop in their car in the dead of winter and get up into high rpm's right away, giving the oil no time to get to a temperature where it is the most effective. 
The guy that bought the E30 from me knew I drove it hard as much as I pleased, but because I had the common sense to keep all parts in good shape it was no concern to him. 

You're right, it comes down to the person behind the wheel. 

Jake, when is your 3 month window up? 

• 1 month later...