WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

On 8/13/2017 at 8:21 AM, HipMF said:

That sucks.

If possible, check that the valves are seating before tearing the head off/pulling the motor. Could be something dumb like a broken lock/retainer ring/piece of something stuck in there/etc.

Did a wet test. Tablespoon of oil boosted compression from 80 to 120psi. I'm 99.9% sure it's a ring or ringland. Leakdown and borescope this week.

just get a used motor. It's gonna cost you $1500 in parts to do a full rebuild which is the only acceptable answer if you are tearing down the engine in the first place. You're not just gonna replace 1 ring or 1 piston. You're gonna do a complete overhaul including pistons. Then you need to make sure you do it right, and whether or not you did it right becomes far more obvious when you're making +350 whp/tq over factory power. So you'll be spending a lot of time here. The engine has too many miles on it to NOT overhaul everything if you tear it down. 

you need to pull the motor regardless, so factoring in what your time is worth, you'll have a lot of hours into a teardown/rebuild on top of pulling/reinstalling the motor. Considering a used motor with less than half the miles on your current engine can be had for $3k and it's a straight swap, I wouldn't even be considering a rebuild. N54 motors are a commodity. When you grenade one, you just go get a used one and replace it. That's just what you do. This isn't an old M50 or something where finding good used examples is hard to do and you have to be more serious about rebuilding (plus parts are way cheaper for those anyway). I can throw a rock out the window and hit 5 n54 motors on the used market within walking distance of my bathroom all with 50k miles on them. 

2 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

just get a used motor. It's gonna cost you $1500 in parts to do a full rebuild which is the only acceptable answer if you are tearing down the engine in the first place. You're not just gonna replace 1 ring or 1 piston. You're gonna do a complete overhaul including pistons. Then you need to make sure you do it right, and whether or not you did it right becomes far more obvious when you're making +350 whp/tq over factory power. So you'll be spending a lot of time here. The engine has too many miles on it to NOT overhaul everything if you tear it down. 

you need to pull the motor regardless, so factoring in what your time is worth, you'll have a lot of hours into a teardown/rebuild on top of pulling/reinstalling the motor. Considering a used motor with less than half the miles on your current engine can be had for $3k and it's a straight swap, I wouldn't even be considering a rebuild. N54 motors are a commodity. When you grenade one, you just go get a used one and replace it. That's just what you do. This isn't an old M50 or something where finding good used examples is hard to do and you have to be more serious about rebuilding (plus parts are way cheaper for those anyway). I can throw a rock out the window and hit 5 n54 motors on the used market within walking distance of my bathroom all with 50k miles on them. 

Why do you have rocks in your bathroom?

14 hours ago, Iceddragon said:

Pardon my ignorance, what exactly happened with this? What did those numbers mean? I'm assuming cylinder pressure?

I love this build and you guys sound like its dead :(

It lost compression on cylinder #3, motor is constantly misfiring and running rough. Needs to be repaired internally or replaced.

Chances are, it's gonna be a while until the car is back on the road. I don't have the funds.

14 hours ago, Jeff said:

Its crazy how long shop times are sometimes.

True, but to be fair, I bet this is accurate. I spent a lot of time replacing the turbos and would assume pulling the motor and re-installing it would probably take awhile.

13 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

I'm fully aware of the situation I'm in. Problem is, I don't have the funds.

Care to share links to motors in WI with less than 50k miles? I've found a couple for ~$2500, but this was the lowest mileage one I could find locally.

http://bayauto.com/used-parts/BMW/BMW_335I/BH0380/2007/Engine_Assembly/1001605770

It was a general point about how easy it is to locate used N54 motors and I was trying to bring humor to a shitty situation. Not that I literally know of super low mileage motors within a short radius to us here in WI. 

I was thinking something like this: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-135i-335i-3-0L-Twin-Turbo-Engine-Motor-Dropout-Free-Shipping-71k/152663897833?epid=874569161&fits=Make%3ABMW|Model%3A335i&hash=item238b7a36e9%3Ag%3AlPkAAOSwj8JZkiEC

Comes with turbos and other components. You could part some of that out and have the motor for less than $2k easily when all is said and done. 

1 hour ago, i_love_cars said:

It was a general point about how easy it is to locate used N54 motors and I was trying to bring humor to a shitty situation. Not that I literally know of super low mileage motors within a short radius to us here in WI. 

I was thinking something like this: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-135i-335i-3-0L-Twin-Turbo-Engine-Motor-Dropout-Free-Shipping-71k/152663897833?epid=874569161&fits=Make%3ABMW|Model%3A335i&hash=item238b7a36e9%3Ag%3AlPkAAOSwj8JZkiEC

Comes with turbos and other components. You could part some of that out and have the motor for less than $2k easily when all is said and done. 

That's a great example. Good price, lower miles, and comes with crap I can sell.

To take out another credit card or not... <_<

8 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Really? How would I even begin to start this conversation? Lol.

6 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

"are you guys able to source used/refurbished engines for my 2008 BMW 135i? " 

Yup, that's about it.  We use them at work mostly for wheels, steering knucles, wheel covers, etc.  They've been able to pull through on some weird stuff though.  If the counter person doesn't know what you're talking about then ask to speak with someone in commercial.  Worst case scenario I know a few commercial sales managers and strategic account managers with them and I can get you in touch with someone who can help.

32 minutes ago, Snap said:

www.car-part.com

whatever you do don't sign up for any engine locating services, your phone will ring nonstop for an hour, then with greater than average frequency for the next week or two

I've already searched car-part.com. That's how I found the 335i motor in Green Bay, but not a whole lot else to write home about.

31 minutes ago, Snap said:

Theres also this

Yeah, I already texted the guy yesterday but no response. My friend has a broken N54 that I could steal a piston from if I decided to go that route.

• 2 months later...

I finally saved up enough $$$$ and picked up an engine from a local junkyard.

37064482223_7a12c18ec3_c.jpg

It came out of a 2008 335i 6MT with 91,223 miles. The car was hit pretty hard on the driver's side, so I'm not worried about flood damage or anything like that. It was also modified, so I'm hoping it was taken care of by an enthusiast.

I've noticed all index 11 injectors, an RB PCV valve/cap, and it looks spotless under the oil cap. No sludge, grime, buildup, or discoloration. Hoping this is a sign of frequent oil changes.

Hoping to start tearing the car apart so I can remove the blown motor and swap everything over before the end of the year!

A quick Google search of the VIN that the engine was from brought up some interesting results.

The car was definitely modded...

This is what I thought it looked like:

https://bayauto.com/used-parts/BMW/BMW_335I/BH1363/2008

Looks like it was for sale in Chicago with 82k miles a year or two ago. Whoever crashed it, put it as back to stock as they could before sending it to the scrap yard.

I reached out to a few dealerships that came up in it's service history, asking if they had documentation for the car. Anything is better than nothing, just because I'm a curious guy.