WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

On 6/23/2017 at 10:11 AM, suspenceful said:

Thanks man! I'm not quite sure what you mean by murder box in the passenger seat though :confused:

On 6/23/2017 at 10:25 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

I've also been trying to figure out what it could be...

I need both of you to please watch Death Proof.  Basically, Kurt Russel plays a murderous stuntman who builds cars to intentionally crash and kill either the passenger or others while he remains alive.  If you have any interest in Tarantino you'll like it.

I got the oil pan cleaned up and re-installed with a new gasket. Having an industrial parts washer at my work helps. I also washed the subframe.

34739484043_4c377895bf_c.jpg

35063007380_46298eaba3_c.jpg

35548304485_49e9eb7b5e_c.jpg

Then I began to swap all the lines over to the new turbos but ran into a bit of an issue. While it was my own fault, I feel like I should share for any other MMP3 owners. As Mauricio notes, you must use small washers on the bolts when reattaching the oil feed and coolant lines to the new turbos. Otherwise you will bottom out the bolt and pull the welds off that hold the mount on. Ask me how fun it is to find out the hard way.

35509451756_fecedc6151_c.jpg

Luckily I had a buddy who helped me weld the stainless mount back to the cast cartridge housing. It looks like it should hold just fine, but I haven't re-mounted the line yet. I might have to re-clock the turbos first. More progress tonight.

35418473321_1239f170bc_c.jpg

Also, if anyone wants to watch a 10 minute vlog-style video of the first day I worked on the car, check this out. My buddy @SteelBlue put it together for fun. We're curious to hear some feedback on it or if we should scrap the idea. Not a whole lot of "useful" content, but I thought it was interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the long 4th of July weekend off, spent it relaxing with friends and family.

I'm officially on the back half of this install. Yesterday I got back underneath the car and mounted both turbos, gaskets, lines and torqued everything to spec. The rear inlet elbow is on (PITA), but I know I'll still have a heck of a time shoving the aluminum pipe in from up top.

Hopefully I can get back at it tonight and get the outlets, water pump, inlets, and power steering pump installed.

35648142711_7c9b7577d4_c.jpg

35391776210_dc9ed2fc53_c.jpg

2 hours ago, Snap said:

I just sat and marveled at all that design and packaging for a few minutes. do you see a light at the end of the tunnel yet?

It's definitely overwhelming, and you can only see half of it. Pretty crazy how someone (probably more than one person) designed all of this.

I see a light, but it's still pretty far away.

Larger inlets and outlets are on. Coolant pipe, water pump, thermostat reinstalled with new hoses. Power steering pump and intercooler reinstalled. Downpipes attached and O2 sensors connected. Subframe secured with new motor mounts. Hoping to connect vacuum lines and tidy up some loose ends tonight. Should be able to start it after adding oil, coolant and power steering fluid.

35749507272_1cb27fe106_c.jpg

35878625126_48bfd4dee7_c.jpg

35110281303_53d452fbc9_c.jpg

35079591204_920c88ba0a_c.jpg

35878626016_c9c3301b38_c.jpg

35110277953_371f8a7d40_c.jpg

After getting some help from my girlfriend, I was able to start the car! ;)

35172696823_b305624e34_c.jpg

35850441811_7417af6dcc_c.jpg

35850440261_2fcd7426ff_c.jpg

I was able to put on about 200 miles this weekend without a hitch. It was a great feeling being able to start the car and drive it without a single issue. I don't have the upgraded fuel system installed yet so I'm limited to low boost, but I'm okay with that because I want to break in the clutch before cranking it up to 30PSI.

These things are loud! Constant spooling noises.

I was also able to finally weigh my car: 3260lbs with a full tank of gas. No exhaust or backseats (how I typically drive it anyways).

35850444251_0c9b11f5a3_c.jpg

35941398116_0c0f78487a_c.jpg

Here's what I've replaced (off the top of my head):

• Ceramic coated MMP turbos with all new gaskets and o-rings
  • Inlets and outlets, both wrapped with heat-resistant tape
  • Oil pan gasket and bolts
  • Oil filter housing gaskets
  • Water pump and related rubber coolant hoses
  • Both motor mounts
  • Downpipe v-band clamps with new gaskets
  • Deleted vacuum canisters, ran new vacuum line
  • Power steering fluid, coolant, oil
  • SPEC Stage 3+ clutch, throwout bearing, clutch fork
  • Poly transmission mounts
  • Aluminum bellhousing bolts
  • Rear pinion seal
  • Rear differential fluid
  • Shifter bushings

Stay tuned - fuel system going in soon, then dyno time.

14 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

hustle, son. I'd be taking vacation days and just driving around nonstop to finish breaking that clutch in. 

I'm going to find a good coffee shop in Appleton to do a workday at once you have everything sorted so I can see this thing with the new turbskeez.

I'm working on it. I've got about 250 miles on the clutch so far. I think I'm going to put the fuel system in this weekend. I'm itching to see what this thing feels like at 30 PSI.

18 hours ago, Daggerty said:

Is this going to be pure e85 then? What's the fuel setup going to be?

Yes. Adding six 750cc injectors with a sandwich plate between the head and intake manifold (still with direct injection). Two Walbro 450 pumps going in the fuel tank bucket. I should be able to run full E85 at all times.

As far as the high boost on stock internals... it's always a roll of the dice. Some stock N54s hold 850+whp no problem. Others blow up with stock turbos. 700whp will be pushing the envelope but with proper parts, tune and maintenance, I should be okay. Alas, I am on WIBimmers so I'll need all the luck I can get.