WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

So I ended up buying a stock manifold because the motor didn't have one. It's an ugly SOB so I shaved all the tabs, vacuum lines and other garbage off of it and Chris welded it all shut. image.jpegimage.jpeg

you can see even with the stock manifold the heater core lines are extremely tight.

image.jpeg

i was also able to mount the stock oil cooler above the fmic using the stock mounts!image.jpegimage.jpeg

I started painting all the new parts with VHT wrinkle paint for that OEM look and baked them in my oven for a few minutes. I was really happy with the results.

image.jpeg

Once mounts were all made, we focused on the driveshaft. Since I had the yoke for the R154 it was super easy to just chop the stock e30 shaft and weld the new steel tube between the two. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

exhaust is basically full 3" stainless from the turbo back. Chris went to town on this and did a beautiful job. I'm more than happy.image.jpegimage.jpeg

I was able to catch up with Craig again and he sold me the spare aluminum radiator he had. It wasn't quite what I wanted, but with time and money I just went for it. Obviously some modification was needed, and Chris went to town welding. I can tell you he wasn't the happiest man welding shitty aluminum but the result again was flawlessimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

Everything slowly fitting into place. 

image.jpeg

Took me awhile, but I finally pulled up my britches and prepared to cut the front valance.

image.jpeg

Chris started preparing the exhaust manifold for the weird German turbo I acquired. It's a K27 from a Mercedes diesel. I guess it's similar to the turbo upgrades people use on Porsche 930's. He also had to change the mounting location and flange for the old deltagate wastegate I'm going to use. image.jpeg

While he he was doing this, I was grinding and painting to try and make everything look and fit nice. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Chose a bov location and welded everything together. I wanted to make the couplers near the lower part of the engine bay because I think they are hideous. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

The turbo also had a bun welded to it and the charge piping was also welded too. 

I fixed the heater core lines which were a massive pain in my ass. Since they are hard lines, I was hoping bending them out of the way and using molded silicone hose would be enough to get me by. I was wrong. I had to climb into my favorite place, under the dash, and cut the hardlines back enough so that I could run the molded hose through the grommet in the firewall and make the harsh 90 turn under the manifold.image.jpeg

Im not entirely happy with the way it looks, but my options are pretty slim next to running no heat, or making some extensive modification to the heatercore so this will have to do for now. 

I slowly have been cleaning and painting all the components when I get a chance. Overall everything is coming together well and I'm getting pretty excited.image.jpegimage.jpeg

the coolant lines are still not complete but Ive been tackling other things because I know it's gonna suck. image.jpeg

I mounted and painted all the charge piping now which I'm pleased with. This wrinkle paint is awesome.image.jpeg

no more brake ducts. Oh well.

Chubs, the man behind the mask, has been cranking away helping me get this car going, and up to this point, I can't thank him enough. image.jpeg

I have a massive list of things to buy and complete yet, but I'm certainly 3/4's of the way there image.jpeg

I finally started messing with the brakes. I have a massive delete I bought from Collin and I was going to use a Porsche 944 master. I have since change my mind because of the fitment and overall style of the master. I also have a tilton that I was going to use until I realized it's not the right bolt pattern as the booster delete. :/ so I took the booster delete with me and headed to the salvage yard where I found a 13/16 master from a early 80's Honda Civic.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

fits like a glove.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, ClassE said:

Needs more zinc.

Nice series of updates - I can't wait to see this in person.  Awesome work so far! 👍

Thanks man, and I agree. I wanted to get all new hardware but getting laid off and still performing the swap has made my life, well, creative. I intend on just getting it driving and then going back and slowing making everything MUCH much better.

90% of the brakes are complete. I ran all the hard lines minus the Bias valve that I am picking up tomorrow. I also managed to run the reservoir for the clutch slave cylinder. See my sneakiness? I plan on doing the same with the brake reservoir later too. Funds and time are playing a big part here for me now. Its crunch time.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I knew working at Allis Bike part time would come in handy besides my biking addiction. I picked up a bike brake cable, housing, and misc knarps, ferrels, and barrel ends for making the throttle cable linkage. I used a dirty finger (hehe) and a nice piece of bond paper and created an outline of the mounting holes on the intake manifold for the cable bracket. I then created a quick sketch of what I will probably weld together tomorrow to make it all work together.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels