WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Snap said:

Probably the best e30 vert ever , great photos! What is the shiny object next to it? Looks like some sort of beetle kit car

It was a scratch built car that looks mostly like a porsche but it has other influences of the era. It is pretty neat but oddly shaped aswell. 

Its a hand built car that uses a VW aircooler motor. "The Runge FF007" built by Runge Cars. I am not really a fan of the shape, but the amount of work and time that has went into it is amazing. Chris Runge has made a few others prior to this one which look better in my opinion. Crazy fact is that he has sold them for roughly $150k each. 

https://rungecars.com/

• 2 months later...

Started finally really working on this. I have a massive list, and the more I look at it, the more I realize is missing. So far I have new window seals that I ordered and now realized I need the other half of them too. I pulled the the seats out of the interior for a nice deep cleaning, I plan on taking dimensions of the interior panels so I can start to figure out what I want to do for designs and material. I also pulled the center console as I will be making a cup holder and I want to run a headless stereo (bluetooth amp) 

Here is the other bad seal

IMG_6033.JPG

and the naked interior

IMG_6031.JPG

The carpet is not clean here, but It came very clean surprisingly

IMG_6032.JPG

I plan on adding cup holders to the door panels, and to the center console but integrating them. Similar to this BUT NOT this:

IMG_3200_zps2e9a9a12.jpgIMG_3201_zps4296b0b9.jpgDoor-Pockets-9.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bought another set of wheels. They should be getting delivered via friend in the next day or two. I will need to refinish them and I didn't really need another set, but I couldnt pass up a good deal on a rare set of wheels.

They are Crenshaw Classics and I have no idea what the specs are yet, but my guess is 16x9.5 or 16x10 et of something insanely high.

Actual pics of the wheels:

27787126_10156118292276664_1174490150_o.27400194_10156113839491664_1138325217_n.

And a pic for reference:

27787344_10155277253256485_2011918535_o.

4 hours ago, YoungCR said:

What are you going to refinish them as?

Not sure yet. I am undecided. I was thinking of one of the following:

1. having them diamond cut with polished lips
  2. brushed faces with polished lips and plating the hardware gold
  3. Polishing the faces and painting the lips Laguna green
4 hours ago, Snap said:

I'd rock a set of those in gunmetal

I would if I had a more muted color palate ie black, silver, or white

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

i dream of the day your car has wider rubber.

please do e30 m3 flares + 255s on those vette wheels.

k,thx,bye

hmmmm.... Maybe. But I think this car is more of a show car rather than a track car. Being a vert, I just want to keep the top down, blast terrible 90's music,, and drive home with the wind and exhaust notes baffling my eardrums.

46 minutes ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Pretty sweet wheels!

Thanks!! I am pretty excited about them!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the wheels. Totally need to be refinished and will need new hardware. Still no clue what I will use them for.

I got some free time this morning and finally got around to making CAD models of all of the bushings Earl purchased for the E30/E36ti rear subframe, plus pedal bushings, diff spacers and diff inserts. This is great now because I have a reference if I need to make custom units. I need to drop my sub-frame and weld in camber tabs, which provides me time to upgrades the bushings that I haven't already.

GlaM_Bushings.png

Disassembly has begun again. 

I am late to working on this thing this year already as I was pretty much over dealing with it last year and haven't had an urge to really touch it. I got an itch to start working on it again after cleaning my shop, fixing the other garbage I own,  and seeing the lists of those other projects slowly shrinking compared to the length of the list for this car.

First I will list the things I want to accomplish this year for this car. I might not have it on the road, but I hope to get most of this stuff checked off.

• Higher spring rates in the rear
  • ECUMasters management
  • New engine harness
  • Rebuild the turbo
  • Z4 steering rack
  • Repaint the engine bay

I have a huge list of little stuff that needs to be done too, but these are some key mile stones I want to finish. So I started last night by putting the car up on the lift and started removing the steering rack and removed the turbo. I found a place in Wisco that does turbo rebuilding and balancing- "Midwestturboconnection". I already have a rebuild kit but I do not own a turbo balancing machine. $400 estimate for a complete rebuild and balance. I hope to send it out next week. I also need to order inner tie rods and devise a plan for a new steering shaft joint.

IMG_8898.JPGIMG_9783.JPGIMG_6575.JPGIMG_6576.JPG

• Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels