WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

On 8/25/2017 at 10:20 AM, jc43089 said:

I think it would look better with the numbers standing out, I'm somewhat color blind but I think it is too much of the same color on the back of the car, especially over the texture of the letters.

I agree. I have a polished plate frame that I plan on using to help break it up besides adding color to the letters.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:57 AM, m42b32 said:

That looks awesome!! Are you going to do the plate letters in yellow like they would be normally? If you did I bet you wouldn't have too much of a problem unless they looked really closely

I plan on doing them in light gold or brushed silver. I haven't decided

21 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

I have done vinyl plate letters and "California" script for a guy in Cali. With all the hookups you have I am sure you already have a contact for vinyl decals. if not, let me know. I'm always happy to help. :D

Thanks for the offer! I have a plotter at my work and will cut them out myself.

20 hours ago, Snap said:

That stub hood turned out great and the detail with the color-matched plate is a unique touch.

Just please promise that anytime you go to show someone something in the engine bay that you go in and pop the hood then lift it up like you would with a full hood and be completely serious about it too.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:  Totally am going to do this, but I will need assistance as the hood can fly up super quick. 

Here are some more detail shots of the paintwork with the hood off of the car.

IMG_4251.JPGIMG_4252.JPGIMG_4253.JPG

So I cut some vinyl for my license plate. I think I am sticking with the brushed aluminum finish, but I will have to slim down the font I made as it overlaps the stamping and causes some distortion in areas(see above the number "8"). Overall I think it turned out awesome, and seeing it complete, I don't think the cops with bother me at all about it. (knocks on wood)

IMG_4283.JPGIMG_4284.JPGIMG_4285.JPGIMG_4286.JPG

I also FINALLY got my barrels for my wheels so I can start assembly. It looks ridiculous having 10 barrels for 1 set of wheels. I need to order tires so I can get them on the car. 

IMG_4274.JPGIMG_4275.JPGIMG_4287.JPG

Next up is turbo rebuild!!

15 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

modifying a Wisconsin license plate? i hope you like getting pulled over.

i love it, though!

LOL yeah yeah. Its not like its not legible. I know a guy that polished his whole plate and was pulled over for it only a few times. Only received warnings. If im getting pulled over, its for no front plate, speeding, or doing something really idiotic.

7 minutes ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Add a tiny bit of heat to the top of that "8" and it should smooth out the wrinkles. Not too much heat tho

Good idea, but this vinyl is really thick, im not sure how well it will conform.. I will try that first.

Heat failed to help the vinyl, but I am just going to print new letters. For now this is how it turned out. 

IMG_4327.JPGIMG_4328.JPG

Super crunch time now as I was invited to Eurowerks. I plan on trailering the car, but the most important thing that concerns me is getting my wheels installed and on the car. I have the titanium hardware in my tumbler at work and all the parts ready to go. I just have to find time to make it all happen before tomorrow night. :( Suddenly I feel a **cough** cold coming on and might not make it into work. 

3 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Priorities 😂

For sure. 

----

Wheels are together and going in to get tires mounted in an hour. Im going to just wrap my engine harness and I should be all set. I will be going stand alone this winter so this harness is garbage to me now. 3 harness' spliced to make one has been annoying since the start. Electrical tape and shrink wrap it is!

Will post pictures of the wheels and them on the car later. No time!!!!!!

13 hours ago, Snap said:

I will trade you 2 of my cars for your vert. Thats how much I like it/thats how crappy my cars are.

Would it be worth putting some 3/8" standoffs behind the plate so it sits proud and casts a slight shadow to define the plate edge? Just a thought

You're too kind sir. I like that the plate blends in to be honest.

50 minutes ago, cpandrewschmidt said:

Maybe just a licence plate frame to break it up?  Also, I believe I've asked this.  What sideskirts are you rockn' in that rolling picture? 

I tried putting a frame on it but everyone looking over my shoulder said it looked dumb so I will leave ti for now. Anything is better than the JohnDeer theme.

1 hour ago, Earl said:

I wish license plate tubs on our cars were actually flat because I fear my plate will touch my trunk. #mypaintcostmorethanipaidforthecarsoicareaboutittoomuch

What ever do you mean? Mine is flat, but then has plastic stand offs so the plate doesnt touch. This is the best example I could find:

Image result for e30 rear plate filler

• Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels