WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1987 325e. Eventually Boost+M50 Swap

Guest Laishes

Guest Laishes

I have been on the forums for about four months now,

I owned a 1998 540i that I just sold to M318's cousin for tuition money. I managed to pay for school and have a little bit leftover.

So 6 hours of total driving and $1400 later I obtained this:

IMG_1513.jpg

It's a "rust free" 1987 325e. This picture was taken on my way back from Eau Claire and you can tell how salty she is. Just look at the door!

I am on the right and my good friend Carlos (Carlosah13 on the forums...He will also be getting an E30 soon) is on the left. He helped me bring the puppy back to Madison. He's an OG forsure. An older picture...

These are what our faces looked like when I spotted the car on craigslist.

IMG_10891.jpg

So once I got back I figured I owed her this:

IMG_1524.jpg

After the car wash I replaced two tires out of my 5 because they were leaking. I went to the local Firestone complete auto care store and got two tires mounted and balanced for $158.

IMG_1533.jpg

Then she sat like this as of 12/27/13

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

Ew! Faded grill!

Fixed this yesterday (also dechromed the kidneys) with a little PlastiDip.

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

The donkkk!

IMG_1544.jpg

After the car was washed I spotted some surface rust :(... And no the sunroof doesn't leak!

IMG_1541.jpg

The gas cap door

IMG_1534.jpg

Really clean interior for $1400!

Shift boot is torn and the dash is cracked :( I'm planning on getting a tan leather shift boot anyhow.

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

Super janky and old radio. It works but the display is fucked. Doesn't even have an aux. Going to upgrade to a newer pioneer.

IMG_1546.jpg

Almost 280k and M20 don't give a ****!

IMG_1545.jpg

Drivers side and passenger side front seats respectively. The driverside is a little worn but no cracks or wear or tears!

187fe58b-a62b-401b-b629-38e3c7112e55.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

The backseat + new ice scraper I bought!!

IMG_1538.jpg

Guest Laishes

I'm planning on eventually swapping a 325i head onto the ETA block with a new headgasket and then getting ARP studs. Then snailtime. The stock internals and lowered compression ratio of the 2.7i should be able to handle 400whp. And it will be cheap! I also want to maybe swap in some E36 m3 "sand beige" vader seats. However I don't know if they will match my "sand beige" backseat. If you have any information on this; chime in!

Edit:

No... No i'm not. M50 swap!

Guest Laishes

Either way. For 1400. You can't beat that.

Im really glad I snagged it when I did; too bad I don't have your number, I would've hit you up while I was still in Eau Claire for a cruise!

Guest Laishes

What is your timeframe/budget for the turbo stuff

I want to keep the turbo as cheap as possible. And i'm not sure about the timeframe for it. However as money comes in things will progress. However; I do want to do the 2.7i swap immedietly since it is cheap. I just need a 325i head and 325i electronics and some miscellaneous goodies and I should be all set. Not sure if I want to do anything to the 325i head before I put it on either. ofcourse I could probably source a lower mileage m20 longblock (325i) and just swap that in however I don't think I'll benefit as much from it.

Edit:

M50 swap!