WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 E30

KaiserRolls

Well with uncle bens help: 1e653c33b9478bc8ec5502aef19544fa.jpg

Cams are in and engine is timed, everything is torqued. Will be rechecking the ARPs after the first heat cycle

Still need to flush block as well

Rebuilt the vanos while he installed the cams (didn't take pics) was pretty easy. There was a decent amount of play before, not as much after. Hooray for no more marbles.

Installed new Stewart pump as well

Now it's just reinstalling exhaust & all other crap.

Realized I sold my intake elbow, so I can't really drive it around the rest of the year NA, so I'm forcing myself to finish the SC.

Looks like I'll have to figure out something for modifying the dipstick tube for a drain (or just tap the pan) as it interferes with the sc piping.

Probably need to buy a new tensioner as well. Also figure out belt routing.

Closer!

6297b4cc3be1bb66f82da8e82492684f.jpg

Waiting on a temp sender (7/18 arrival) for the water temp gauge.

Also waiting on the ICV connector (to manifold) from reboot engineering (machined alum). After breaking 3 of the shit plastic ones and for the amount of times I'll most likely have to remove the intake manifold in this thing, I figured why not.

^thats all in the "parts yet to arrive" category

Stuff I'll need to figure out:

-oil drain from SC, tapping the pan annoys me

-intake elbow deal from SC to TB (current one has 2.7 million holes drilled into it) need to either replace it or slap something together

Need to get the 2nd O2 bung welded onto my exhaust for the wideband.

Need to install and wire all the gauges/senders/etc

Seatbelt situation

Extend fuel lines

Replace all the vac lines & install vacuum distribution block

There's more but I can't remember

42 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Don't you need to know values of the sensor or something odd like that.

@snap and I discussed that but I can't remember the outcome

I think he means use the simulated narrow band to ecu you just have to set high and low point for your wideband output, not all can do this. I believe it's 1.1 volts max, otherwise you will get a cel. I can find it if that is the route you are going.

Critical mission failure: cd42dd280bbd0e17f1388a48d9668a81.jpg

On Monday going to the local radiator shop to have them toss a 90° on

Also if you take the stock e36 upper hose and flip it 180° and trim off the side that originally connected to the rad, it should clear everything perfectly (obviously it will sit closer to the pulleys, couldn't get anymore bend with only one hand)

a342ae91dc4ae18e3ce2629bfa5b3c0f.jpg

Ideally the hose will sit such as thisdabb0a177f596a3f204c02a237c6eec5.jpg

Depends how much room he needs with the TIG

I'm hoping that if it is semi close to the pulleys, that the solid engine and trans mounts will keep the whole shit show from piling into one another

Hoping to get some more piddly stuff finished up this week/weekend such as wiring/random hoses/dipstick drain perhaps.

Also most likely won't be able to run the intake tube they provide (hits ABS pump, angle doesn't work either) so I'm probably going to hop on silicone intakes and order up some crap and figure something out, already removed the drivers side hi beam [emoji849]

I suck at updates

ABS is gone. Unfortunately snapped the stock line under where the stock proportioning valve sits - snapped when I was removing it - honestly is probably not a bad thing and it will force me to replace it. It was the last line that I hadn't replaced in the braking system so all in all I'm not too upset about it.

Most likely will just buy a length of hardline that has the fittings installed and bend it to fit. I hate flaring lines.

I also will be buying the ABS delete from chase bays. While it's expensive it comes with everything so it'll be convenient.

Good news without ABS I can run the stock VF intake pipe with a mushroom filter (yellow one) and run it thru the low beam headlight hole. So from a distance it shouldn't look too different.

Also without ABS I can run the stock e30 expansion tank, which I might try and remove the black paint from so I can see the damn coolant level

Radiator goes in Monday for modification

Curious to see the radiator back in and plumbed!

Same here. Dropped it off today with a bunch of pictures and measurements I took.

Guy said it should be done in a week or so.

It's kind of neat when you go into these shops that mainly repair SUVs and other boring cars with a "special" project. I had 3 or 4 guys huddled around pictures I had taken of the engine bay (for radiator fitment) all suggesting ideas to the guy who TIG welds lol. It was great