WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 E30

KaiserRolls

• 7 months later...

Drove to MN today with my buddies in this & I'm now deaf

unnamed1_zps29c9010f.jpg

Drove to an airplane hangar where things were for sale

There was an e36m3 gutted with an sr20 swapped into it, it was neat.

Bought this

unnamed_zps61789d45.jpg

It sucked to get it in and out of a lifted truck, I don't recommend doing it.

it was cold

S50 out of a 95M3 with a ZF and basically everything to drop in my car and drive (minus a driveshaft)

unnamed2_zps1bb45ec6.jpg

unnamed4_zpsc82d3484.jpg

It has a dinan chipped ECU as well, FWIW...

unnamed3_zps309f1dc0.jpg

So basically, I'm going to keep the S50 in my garage, put the M vanity cover on my M50, and call it quits

You can kind of see in the pic above that there is a service door. That goes into a "maintenance" room of sorts. It's maybe 8.5 x 13. (Furnace and water heater are in there) it's insulated & heated by one vent and maybe gets up to 55-60 degrees. The garage portion maybe gets up to 35-40 (not heated, but is insulated on all sides except the garage door -duh)

Had a bit of an issue. The engine hoist legs were just a tad too wide to fit through the service door..so the vehicles all went outside and work started on getting shit apart in the garage

PB blasted the bejesus out of the trans bolts. Those came off with some leverage. Trans was annoying to slide off because the lack of a load leveler on the hoist. It sucked hard using a bunch of tow straps to get stuff at the right angle

It came off except for one hitch, forgot to take off a bolt on the metal thing that goes in between the trans and the back of the engine. Once I stopped being and idiot, the trans popped off. Proceeded to remove clutch & flywheel

(I will get pics of clutch and stuff tomorrow, didn't really think of it until later)

So with the engine now pissing oil everywhere I started to feel at home.

(I grabbed the bag of floor dry from previous post and tossed that crap like it was Mardi Gras)

Took the yolk off the engine stand. Bolted it to the motor (used shitloads of washers, because shorter bolts would make too much sense)

Getting it to line up to the stand was easy enough-then came going through the door.

Long story short the stand didn't fit through because the door didn't open wide enough. So we took the door off and pushed the stand in the room.

Finished at 2:35am (mostly due to a run to Walmart @ 12:30am to buy more shit to catch the leaking shit

e6b0a0a67e5721004677b62d1a52f211.jpg

I'm going to tear more stuff off the motor tomorrow and start to clean it (earl should be fedexing me a half pallet of used toothbrushes) Then misplace hardware and never put it back together.

Gonna get a different clutch/flywheel setup eventually (possibly flywheel from Drleadballs). Everything it pretty much of the engine now. No PS. No AC (just the AC bracket yet) no tensioners no intake no exhaust, etc.

I'm getting pretty familiar with the wire brush 6053d62189ca19c16d5d4c89d66b3abb.jpg

I really hope that's the only "surprise" I find on this thing