WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

It's like the Same but Different: My 528e build

YoungCR

Parts I wanted to get on the car tonight.

IMG 0018

My nice southern trans tunnel  :D

IMG 0019

Cleaned up the back of the block

IMG 0020

Starter guide? Whatever its called is on. This is what I forgot last night  :rolleyes:

IMG 0021

Dominic540i and I both doing pre 5er meet work

IMG 0022 (1)

Flywheel and clutch mounted. This was before aligning the clutch plate 

IMG 0023 (1)

We weren't exactly sure which clutch pilot tool to use (we have a zillion at the dealer), but I used one that fit the best but something was still wrong as we couldn't get the input shaft to go into the pilot bearing. Neither Dominic or I have installed a trans before and after 45min of trying we still had no luck so I'm gonna bribe one of the techs to help me with this tomorrow. Hopefully my pilot bearing is serviceable. 

I clocked out early for work cause things were super slow and was able to get some help from the techs getting my trans in. We did end up realigning the clutch disc with a homemade tool that one of the techs had around. It was actually a cut off input shaft so the fit was perfect! Thanks again for the help Dominic  :cool:

For those of you that haven't mated a transmission to an engine before, I guess it comes down to "the feel" when getting the input shaft into the pilot bearing. Even though we were using a heavy duty transmission jack, when it comes to that point its just there for support and you will need to wrestle the transmission around until everything slides together. We were able to get the trans pretty close but I did need to pull it tight with the bolts. Otherwise its a fairly simple procedure.

Here is a pic after we got the engine/trans mated. I only have 3 bolts in so I had to leave the jack underneath overnight. Tomorrow will be a busy day!

IMG 0024 (1)

So this happened sometime between now and Saturday night  :(. We are thinking that it might have been backed into by a tow truck but who knows. Dominic pointed it out to me as I was leaving work, so he was the first to notice. I hadn't been on that side of the lot so I haven't seen the car since I parked it Saturday night. This sucks cause now I'm back to square one basically although I'm still better off then the old car. Ughh!  :mad:

IMG 0025 (1)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

doesn't a classy joint like concours have security cameras?

You would think! I'm gonna speak to the GM about it tomorrow.

So they just had to fuck up the drivers side fender? Why cant they hit the passenger side that is easy to source a fender for.

Both fenders are ruined. Not sure what my plan is yet. The core support should be able to pull out fine as the headlight buckets and where the hood got bent pushed in somethings. I won't know until I take apart the front end though.

I would be glad to help work on it, as always Chris. Sorry I had to be the bearer of bad news...

I'm glad you pointed it out though! I appreciate it man, maybe tomorrow I'll be motivated to look over the electrical issue. Like I said I think I wired the starter up wrong. 

I think for now I'm just gonna pound stuff out and call it good since its not like this car is a showpiece anyways. When the time comes to get a paint job then this can all be fixed.

So this happened sometime between now and Saturday night  :(. We are thinking that it might have been backed into by a tow truck but who knows. Dominic pointed it out to me as I was leaving work, so he was the first to notice. I hadn't been on that side of the lot so I haven't seen the car since I parked it Saturday night. This sucks cause now I'm back to square one basically although I'm still better off then the old car. Ughh!  :mad:

I don't know what to say. I feel for you man...

• 3 weeks later...

So I guess Geico is a horrible company to do business according to my father, still working on the insurance claim I guess. Mean while I'm gonna try to sort out the electrical issues this weekend and see if I can get some M20 valves tickking.

Figured I'd post up the full damage pics too. Looks like I need a core support also, which may lead to a euro conversion  :shifty:

IMG 0026 (1)

IMG 0027 (1)

IMG 0028 (1)

IMG 0029 (1)

IMG 0030 (1)