WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine e30 progress/build thread

m42b32

3 hours ago, Earl said:

E90 drophats? 

I have a set of the steel aftermarket drop hats sitting on my shelf, unfortunately they don't fit with the fixed camber plates.

1 hour ago, Snap said:

The other thing about it is the rear wheel arches are cut lower on the late model e30, giving more of an illusion of reverse rake

Yup, that's definitely part of it. I like the look of a little bit of rake (almost not visible, not looking for 70's muscle car...) on a late model since the rear arches are lower, so all it needs out of the front is another 10mm. I'm not trying to slam the car or anything, just get rid of most of the wheel gap at the front haha. It already handles really well, so if I can achieve that look without messing up anything else that would be ideal 

Had a blast over the weekend! Drove the car nearly 600 trouble-free miles for the wibimmers fall meet on Saturday and an FVSCC autocross at USAIR on Sunday. 

The car handled really well at the autocross despite slightly wet conditions, @straight6pwr got some great pictures (thanks Dan!):

IjN4xRC.jpg

ZJQYpis.jpg

Had a minor issue with my steering where it was getting really notchy and felt like it was binding up during slaloms and portions of the course that required fast steering inputs. Turns out I was way low on fluid, not sure where it went but Dan came to the rescue with some ATF, topping up the fluid solved the problem!

Also seen in the pictures: 

- Swapped back to the wheel stud conversion because I didn't trust the old lug bolts. They're 75mm bullet-nose studs so I can't run the RS center caps, but I'm starting to like the look without them. 

- Replaced the 'I' lip with the 'IS' lip I had sitting in the garage, looks way better. Maybe I'll paint it some day. 

- I made numbers/class letters for autocross out of magnetic sheet and some satin black vinyl. The slippery slope is real. 

- Not really seen, but I did some slight/careful rear quarter massaging with a dead-blow and finally eliminated the tire rub I was getting over big dips in the road. 

This past weekend was the end of my autocrossing season, so I'll just be driving the car to work a few more times and will be putting it away for the winter in the next week or so. Perfect timing too, the driver's front wheel bearing is sounding pretty awful after the last few runs on Sunday haha. Time to start the swap! 

General to-do list for this winter:

- M54B30 swap (And accompanying drive-train/exhaust upgrades)

- New wheel bearings all around

- Delete ABS pump completely by running new hard lines

- Install E32 750il brake master cylinder (larger bore to match larger calipers and reduce pedal travel)

- Oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp gauges in console

- E36 window switch upgrade

- Louder horns

20 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

"Louder horns"

Priorities. 

Lol, it sounds like a stupid thing on the list, but I guess the car is small/low enough that people may not see me on the freeway, especially around the downtown area (maybe the color blends in with all the concrete?). I was run completely off the road by someone changing lanes into me yesterday, and I seem to have things like that happen significantly more often in this car than any other one I've owned or driven. I've got stock horns in there now and they really don't make much noise so it's possible people don't hear it....or they're just complete idiots, which is also possible.

Don't drive in their blind spot?

Obviously

But

This isn’t always avoidable

I’m all for defensive driving (many years on a motorcycle) but it comes to a certain point when you need to remind a shitfuck that they are driving a 5,000lb death missile and have some form of responsibility to point it where it doesn’t run into someone.

That being said, shotgun blasts and big fireball is by far and away a better tool than a horn to keep these dipshits from running into you.

Is it a douche move? Probably.

But at least you’re not calling a towing company to come scoop your hopes and dreams up from the ditch because sally home maker merged without looking because she was pinning a new fucking casserole recipe.

28 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Don't drive in their blind spot?

In that instance the guy was on the far right while I was in the far left, didn't look or signal and came flying across all 3 lanes in one move, not much I can do to avoid or predict a situation like that. Staying out of blind spots is nearly impossible in rush hour traffic headed in and out of downtown Milwaukee. 

I want a louder horn not to be annoying or scare people, just to ensure that they hear me when they're doing something stupid that could result in a collision. I'm not looking to blow out eardrums or make people shit their pants (even though they sometimes deserve it), I just want something that's guaranteed to be audible even to someone vlogging about their mcgriddle in a well sound-proofed/modern car. 

Think I can fit this behind the grille?

13 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Are you thinking Hella super/sharpe tones, or like some WOLO Trumpets?

Was thinking Hella's (painted black so you can't see them) but there were some good options posted in my other thread too. WOLO trumpets would be a fun project but more than I'm looking to spend, I've got enough to do and buy this winter haha 

37 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Was thinking Hella's (painted black so you can't see them) but there were some good options posted in my other thread too. WOLO trumpets would be a fun project but more than I'm looking to spend, I've got enough to do and buy this winter haha 

WOLO's are cheaper than the Hellas. Roughly $40 for a pair with everything.

20 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

But at least you’re not calling a towing company to come scoop your hopes and dreams up from the ditch because sally home maker merged without looking because she was pinning a new fucking casserole recipe.

I just wanted to draw more attention to this, because it is both hilarious and true.

14 hours ago, Snap said:

Exciting!!!! What year/ how many miles?

Should be well worth it

Definitely exciting! I'm so pumped to start getting into it. It's from a 2002 330xi auto (ms43, didn't want to mess with converting an ms45 engine), the car had 120k on it before it was hit in the driver's front corner. I'm going to do some minor work on it like vanos seals, disa rebuild, rear main seal, secure the oil pump nut, and clean everything up really well before I put it in the car.

7 minutes ago, wasnt m3 said:

What oil pan do you end up using with this swap? I can't imagine using the xi pan.

The standard E34 M50 oil pan bolts right up and uses the same gasket. For the oil pickup, most people modify the rear-sump m54 pickup, as the m50 part will not bolt up to the oil pump. I have heard that the pickup for the E38 728i works with the front sump, but have not gotten a 100% confirmation that it is compatible with the e34 pan, still investigating this.