WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

3 hours ago, suspenceful said:

I don't understand people that put an asking price, followed by a lower price they will take.

psychology 101. make the product seem like its on sale and people think the deal is better, regardless of actual value. there is a photo canvas printing company that regularly fluctuates the 'original price' so that the sale % can go up and down without changing what they actual sell the stuff for. i don't know how its legal, but apparently it is.

From what I've learned in dealing with pricing as long as it's not "confusing"  and the price at checkout is what's advertised then it's legal.  If it's questioned it can be justified by saying website X sells widget A for $20 so we can say that it does have an original price of $20 but we sell it for $18 even if we never intended to sell it for $20.  Or you can say that MSRP is $20 but we have an advertised price agreement of $18 with Widget Vendor.  As long as you're not violating any breach of contract with the vendor then it's alright with them.  It might not be honest but it's not confusing the buyer intentionally.

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

From what I've learned in dealing with pricing as long as it's not "confusing"  and the price at checkout is what's advertised then it's legal.  If it's questioned it can be justified by saying website X sells widget A for $20 so we can say that it does have an original price of $20 but we sell it for $18 even if we never intended to sell it for $20.  Or you can say that MSRP is $20 but we have an advertised price agreement of $18 with Widget Vendor.  As long as you're not violating any breach of contract with the vendor then it's alright with them.  It might not be honest but it's not confusing the buyer intentionally.

I feel like this is the perfect time to bring this up.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/8487/harbor-freight-tools-settles-class-action-lawsuit-over-sale-prices

In short, harbor freight settled a class action lawsuit over misleading sales prices, dating back to April of 2011. Someone decided they were tired of the deceit and took action. Pretty impressive really. The deadline for turning in receipts is over now, but you were able to get 20% of the "You saved" amount on the receipt back in cash, or 30% by way of gift cards. You could use credit card statements showing purchases and get 10% back in cash without receipts. 

Not saying it isn't a common practice, as perceived value will always win out over true value, but it is interesting that Harbor Freight took such a blow for it. 

2 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Whats weird is someone will pay close to that because all of the foot work is done. 

Not weird - I don't think you could build/buy everything there for less than 20k even if you did all the labor yourself.

Just the extras:

4x sets of ARC wheels w/tires: $5,000+

Spare LSD diff with clutch plates and m-finned diff cover: $800+

Take all that away and $15,000 for an s52 fully raced prepped e30 is a great deal if you ask me.

I agree, I just have a hard time associating something like that with the cost because you can buy so much car for $20k now a days.

Speaking of which, I passed up buying one of these a few years ago because the guy never responded to me and I bought something else. To this day I regret not waiting. 

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-mercedes-s600-v12-99k/6310951925.html

For those of you that dont know, the motor in this is the same high reving monstrosity M120 that the Pagani Zonda uses. Just add full exhaust and the sound is amazing. Just listen:

I've seen the car in paddock and on track. This is a good deal for a GTS2 prepped car with all the parts included.

General advice is buy your first and build your second. It gets you racing quicker and by that time you have a better sense if you're going to be all in and in what series.

Doesn't always work that way and some folks build their first and some get stuck mid project. Life intrudes and projects get sold.

Building to SCCA or NASA class versus building for chump, lemons etc also have different demands and price points. For those looking to buy a built car for NASA a well prepped clean SE30 runs in the $10-14k range. A car with GTS2 level prep like this swapped one or built on an e36m3 chassis moves you up the price brackets. Mid-$20k and higher...

So yes pretty wild what folks might shell out for a built race car. Hits you all at once in this case versus the frog in slowly boiling water build your own experience. Either way you're still smiling as you get "cooked"... [emoji12]

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

I agree, I just have a hard time associating something like that with the cost because you can buy so much car for $20k now a days.

Speaking of which, I passed up buying one of these a few years ago because the guy never responded to me and I bought something else. To this day I regret not waiting. 

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-mercedes-s600-v12-99k/6310951925.html

For those of you that dont know, the motor in this is the same high reving monstrosity M120 that the Pagani Zonda uses. Just add full exhaust and the sound is amazing. Just listen:

I listened to the video while looking at the ad, and I just cannot see that car making that noise lol. 
Sounds cool though! 

5 hours ago, Boris3 said:

I've seen the car in paddock and on track. This is a good deal for a GTS2 prepped car with all the parts included.

General advice is buy your first and build your second. It gets you racing quicker and by that time you have a better sense if you're going to be all in and in what series.

Doesn't always work that way and some folks build their first and some get stuck mid project. Life intrudes and projects get sold.

Building to SCCA or NASA class versus building for chump, lemons etc also have different demands and price points. For those looking to buy a built car for NASA a well prepped clean SE30 runs in the $10-14k range. A car with GTS2 level prep like this swapped one or built on an e36m3 chassis moves you up the price brackets. Mid-$20k and higher...

So yes pretty wild what folks might shell out for a built race car. Hits you all at once in this case versus the frog in slowly boiling water build your own experience. Either way you're still smiling as you get "cooked"... emoji12.png

What is this racing thing you speak of? I understand the working on the car and never finishing thing quite well.

On 9/21/2017 at 10:16 AM, P_Roloff said:

Nice inexpensive set of wheels for an e30 if anyone's looking. 

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/wto/d/borbet-15-7x15-4x100-wheels/6310315449.html

These look like Borbet Type H, strong wheel but heavy. Maybe 21 lbs in a 15x7?? Good for snow tires / winter hooning / potential curb smacking, etc

If the seller is correct on the offset of +35 then you'll probably need spacers to fit on a regular e30 to get it closer to +25 for a 15x7 fitment. Should work on an ix though without spacers.