WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The Dirty Dolphin build thread

Andrew

She's back on her feet with a freshly tightened strut collar nut.  No more big clunks, but it still crashes over bumps more than i think it should. Below is a pic of the raw sandblasted bottlecaps which used to be time attacked.  Now I need to source a Z3 rack for the next big project phase which includes the z3 rack, replacing the current damaged front subframe with a reinforced and freshly powdercoated one, and brand new control arms.  I may throw new shock cartridges in while i'm at it but i haven't decided yet.  I discovered that the poop covered damper (pictured in the previous posts) is not completely blown like i thought. 

DSC01901.jpg

• 6 months later...

An update on the glacial progress of the car.  The cardinal interior is in (it has been for a while).  Someone sell me some cardinal sport seats!  And my spare subframe has been improved. Can you spot the upgrade?  Also, has anyone purchased a steering rack from the rack doctor?

d3fe2595-84ba-4d25-86d8-95ba0dde7e73.jpg

375d33e2-18ed-48a3-860a-032955455d57.jpg

98d1b3e2-24a2-4a83-b0aa-23c95453f548.jpg

Second on the subframe, looks awesome! Is that powder coated?

As far as the seats, I know your driver seat needs a rebuild. If you'd be willing to fix it yourself you could then just recover the seats too. When I plan to build a set of hybrid e30/e28 sport seats I'm gonna use kits from this seller. http://www.ebay.com/usr/zoomzoomzoom-ing They have good reviews from guys on other forums that have used them and the prices are decent too.

Second on the subframe, looks awesome! Is that powder coated?

As far as the seats, I know your driver seat needs a rebuild. If you'd be willing to fix it yourself you could then just recover the seats too. When I plan to build a set of hybrid e30/e28 sport seats I'm gonna use kits from this seller. http://www.ebay.com/usr/zoomzoomzoom-ing They have good reviews from guys on other forums that have used them and the prices are decent too.

I considered having a friend powdercoat it, but i ended up spray painting it with engine enamel.   Are you planning to get a kit like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-325i-318i-325IS-M3-SPORT-SEATS-CARDINAL-RED-UPHOLSTERY-KITS-CONVT-NEW-/350963052092?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b7072e3c, and do the upholstery work yourself?  Can i do this myself without sewing skills and equipment?  Does it cost much to have someone do it?  The first review i found of this seller was negative, although it was because of the seat mechanicals, not the upholstery.  http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1817261-eBay-e30-sport-seats-review-zoomzoomzoom-ing

Just don't change the body color. Love Delphingrau!!!

The color is here to stay.  I love Delphin.

• 3 months later...

I claim victory for the evening. The front subframe is out. I dropped it with the control arms still attached to avoid battle with the 22mm inner ball joint nuts  :)  A reinforced subframe is going back in, along with new control arms, M3 offset CAB's, and new Bilstein sports.  I think i have a broken motor mount, so i might as well put new ones in.  My swaybar bushings look pretty sorry too...

IMG_1080.jpg

If you're wondering what's supporting the engine, it's this:

IMG_1086.jpg

This strange damage/repair job is why I have a new subframe

subframedamage.jpg

This 4.10 followed me home from Appleton.  My current diff is making awful machining noises...

IMG_1087.jpg

Getting closer...

IMG_1112.jpg

This tool made CAB installation a breeze.  If anyone wants to borrow it, lemme know.

IMG_1109.jpg

Question:  Are these motor mount heat shield bracket wraparound hook things important, or can i cut them off (just the hook part that wraps around)???  They cant be hooked around the subframe after I welded in my reinforcements.  Is the only purpose of this part to hold the heat shield?

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

Subframe looks fantastic!

Your CAB install tool looks exactly like mine did, I didnt use very good threaded rod because the threads were buggered up by the time I was done with it.

Where did you get the bushings pressed into the lollipops at? 

You dont need the hooked portion of the heat shield bracket but I dont see a reason to lop it off. 

I have always installed the bushings by hand after lubing them with dishsoap, (It is still not easy to get them on though).  From my understanding the car needs to be set down right away so that they dry with them at the proper angle with the weight of the car on the suspension so that they are not twisting/flexed when the car is at normal height.  How are you determining the correct angle to install them at?

I have always installed the bushings by hand after lubing them with dishsoap, (It is still not easy to get them on though).  From my understanding the car needs to be set down right away so that they dry with them at the proper angle with the weight of the car on the suspension so that they are not twisting/flexed when the car is at normal height.  How are you determining the correct angle to install them at?

Soo i just read the installation procedure in my trusty Bentley manual and it describes the necessity to press the bushing on the arm and let the car rest on the ground in a loaded condition within 30 minutes, as you stated, otherwise you will crash and die (maybe).  I did not use BMW's special lube, nor did i use any lube; i just installed them in a generally correct orientation.  I wish i would have read the install directions before installing (who does that?). Now i'm kinda concerned.  I cant believe that any torque caused by the bushing will be that significant compared to other forces on the wheel, and i cant believe that the bushing wouldnt slip after a few miles.  We'll see.

S4.10? or grandma 4.10?

The new rubber and new front end stuff means we need to get out and hit some twisties soon

Its an open diff, and twisties must be driven with extreme prejudice this year.

Subframe looks fantastic!

Your CAB install tool looks exactly like mine did, I didnt use very good threaded rod because the threads were buggered up by the time I was done with it.

Where did you get the bushings pressed into the lollipops at? 

You dont need the hooked portion of the heat shield bracket but I dont see a reason to lop it off. 

I didn't want to battle with pressing them in, so i bought the bushings pre installed in the brackets.  Expensive, yes, but sometimes i will pay for no hassle.

I didn't mean to concern you, I think it is more of a longevity issue.  If the bushing is constantly twisted it may not last as long.  Did you use standard bushings or e36 m3 ones?

They are E30 M3 offset bushings.  The install was sooo easy with my fancy home made tool, i knew it was too good to be true.  Hopefully there will be no ill effects:)