Snap

chit chat thread

4,121 posts in this topic

I've seen those before in Marquette, they are funny but I don't know what you would do with it. It is not allowed on the trails, it isn't road legal, and it isn't a dirt bike. You are restricted to dirt bike trails so getting a dirt bike would only make sense. 

Finally got the software for the router on Thursday.

First project finished. A Hoffmeister kink inspired paper towel holder.

IMG_20170618_095251_zpskuxpbyhm.jpg

I'm still on the learning curve with the machine, but it seems to work alright. Not as precise as I would like for routing, but better than the poorly-setup Shopbot machine they had at FVTC.

wasnt m3 and m42b32 like this

I think it would be way too heavy and cumbersome to deal with actual mountain bike trails, not to mention really bad etiquette. I like the idea of having a super-light "moped" with full-size wheels and a riding position that's more motorcycle than scooter, but I doubt this thing is actually street legal, so.... I guess that makes it pretty much useless...? dunno.

Pedal it around as a bike. Win.

Something tells me that I shouldn't check the compression on my engine. It's probably from Jeff and Snap....

I wouldn't, I'll never do another check again. I will just listen to the Subaru engine that someone swapped in. Plus who needs mosquitos anyway??

jc43089 likes this

Beating up on the CAM software. It took about 8 minutes to generate the toolpaths for this. Part is 24" square. Bit is a 1/32" end mill. Estimated run time on the machine is 5 hours and 22 minutes.

burnlab_zpshttyldb3.png

I'm using Vectric VCarve Pro. It has some rudimentary drawing/CAD abilities (which are terrible IMO), but it's main purpose (IMO) is to take whatever files you import into it and create toolpaths (in this case G code).

I left it at the default 100 in/min. Cut depth was .025" per pass x2 for a total depth of .050"

I haven't done much research on feeds and speeds yet, just kind of winging it at the moment. I have a feeling the estimated time is really optimistic because the acceleration of the machine is pretty slow. I'll have to look in to that at some point...

What is the cutter you are using? Flute count, coating, flute length and overall length? do you have a link to it? Also what is the max rpm that you have? Type of wood? Soft hard plywood?

Easy there cowboy. I think you're more excited about this stuff than I am.

The machine is at my shop space, which is 100 miles from where I live, so I only get to play around with it on the weekends. It's summer though, so there's other stuff to do on the weekends too. It'll be a month or two before I start to get the machine and the process dialed in. For the moment I'm happy just using whatever bits I got from the previous owner or picked up from the big box store to turn out some hobby-grade projects.

REKIII likes this

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

Easy there cowboy. I think you're more excited about this stuff than I am.

The machine is at my shop space, which is 100 miles from where I live, so I only get to play around with it on the weekends. It's summer though, so there's other stuff to do on the weekends too. It'll be a month or two before I start to get the machine and the process dialed in. For the moment I'm happy just using whatever bits I got from the previous owner or picked up from the big box store to turn out some hobby-grade projects.

It's like having another version of my self talking about it! 

Hey, drinking beer is an important part of summer! 

m42b32 likes this

26 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Sorry man i'll keep it at bay. I do this stuff every day and still have not lost interest in it. It's what I do for fun as well as a job

Don't sweat it lol  
I was irritating him with how much I looked forward to it being up and running, as there are so many things that you can do with it!