WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

4 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

Love the Lotus! That's a bucket list car for me. Any plans to track it?

I'd like to but sadly, my desire to track this car will most likely have the same result as my desire to track my R1.  I'll never get to do it.  Maybe in 10 years when the kids are out of the house.

Intradusting. I bet the mini wins with having a smaller wheel base and being a touch lighter than a compact.

Mini:  

Wheel base: 2,470 mm (97.1 in)  

Weight  1,150 kg (2,535 lb) (Cooper)
1,210 kg (2,668 lb) (Cooper S)

Compact:

Wheel base 2,700 mm (106.3 in)

Weight  1,175 kg (2,590 lb)−1,290 kg (2,840 lb)

Visiting family in Wausau this weekend, made a Menard's run and apparently didn't get the Volvo in gear properly when I parked and it rolled into a Saturn. Awesome, the only downside of a manual transmission... it broke the glass headlight lens and scuffed the bumper cover on mine and scuffed the plastic door on the Vue. I barely had 5 minutes in the store by the time an officer came and did a report. Question for people that have had a situation like this. I have a 500$ deductible, so if the damage is assessed at 2k, do I just get 1500$ and can fix it myself? I do not have a loan.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

No handbrake?

It works fine, just my bad habit of not using it from not having a working one on other cars. The maxima one worked but you had to bang on the lever on the caliper to get it to release so it was truly only for emergency use. I will remember to use it now...

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

On 5/27/2017 at 10:51 PM, jc43089 said:

Visiting family in Wausau this weekend, made a Menard's run and apparently didn't get the Volvo in gear properly when I parked and it rolled into a Saturn. Awesome, the only downside of a manual transmission... it broke the glass headlight lens and scuffed the bumper cover on mine and scuffed the plastic door on the Vue. I barely had 5 minutes in the store by the time an officer came and did a report. Question for people that have had a situation like this. I have a 500$ deductible, so if the damage is assessed at 2k, do I just get 1500$ and can fix it myself? I do not have a loan.

That's too bad.

I was just in the same boat for an insurance claim with my 3-series. Got two high end quotes for ~$2k in damage from body shop friends and called Allstate to make a claim. They said they'd send someone out to look at it if I didn't want to have it repaired by one of their partnered shops. A week went by, they never came. Got a call that said the check was in the mail for the quoted amount minus my $500 deductible. They mentioned having the shop co-written on the check, but it was fully in my name. I cashed it and fixed it for much cheaper. Just be aware that now my rates have gone up because I have a claim on my record. If I were to do it again, I would've fixed it out of pocket.

1 minute ago, suspenceful said:

That's too bad.

I was just in the same boat for an insurance claim with my 3-series. Got two high end quotes for ~$2k in damage from body shop friends and called Allstate to make a claim. They said they'd send someone out to look at it if I didn't want to have it repaired by one of their partnered shops. A week went by, they never came. Got a call that said the check was in the mail for the quoted amount minus my $500 deductible. They mentioned having the shop co-written on the check, but it was fully in my name. I cashed it and fixed it for much cheaper. Just be aware that now my rates have gone up because I have a claim on my record. If I were to do it again, I would've fixed it out of pocket.

I'm doing some research on parts right now.  A headlight assembly is over 1000$.  There is replacement glass lenses available for around 300$ but not OE so it might not exactly match the other side.  And the bumper cover is scuffed on the right side.  I have seen people get already painted OE covers for 700ish shipped.  Not sure what to do.  Parts are hard to find for such an odd car.  There were less than 3500 R wagons shipped to the US for the whole run, '04-'07.

I'm finding used headlights on Ebay around 400-500$ so maybe I will go that route.  Can anything be done to repair scratches in the plastic bumper cover and then just paint it?  It isn't cracked or even bent, just scratched.  The other car was a Saturn Vue and it hit the Vue's rear door which is also plastic.

2 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

I'm doing some research on parts right now.  A headlight assembly is over 1000$.  There is replacement glass lenses available for around 300$ but not OE so it might not exactly match the other side.  And the bumper cover is scuffed on the right side.  I have seen people get already painted OE covers for 700ish shipped.  Not sure what to do.  Parts are hard to find for such an odd car.  There were less than 3500 R wagons shipped to the US for the whole run, '04-'07.

I'm finding used headlights on Ebay around 400-500$ so maybe I will go that route.  Can anything be done to repair scratches in the plastic bumper cover and then just paint it?  It isn't cracked or even bent, just scratched.  The other car was a Saturn Vue and it hit the Vue's rear door which is also plastic.

Man, for those kinds of prices they've gotta be pretty close to totaling the car out.  If that happens I know you can buy the car back but won't it have a salvage title going forward?  Also, I don't think you'd receive enough cash to cover repairs since they'd only pay out the value of the car less your deductible and the salvage price they would have received.

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

KBB is usually way the fuck off based on how they value a car but I threw it out there for a range.  I'm sure your insurance company has their own value guide but I can't imagine it'd be far off from NADA.  I just thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

1 minute ago, Ryan... said:

My $200 Volvo requires a new head gasket and is leaking oil from somewhere on the engine.

Anybody here ever change a Volvo timing belt? 

I've done a belt on a P2 car but I am guessing yours is older if it was 200$.  The P2 cars are pretty easy I thought.