WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Tested my sanity this past weekend helping a friend strip a MK6 GTI and put the motor from that in a MK6 jetta. Doing jobs like this really make me realize how much I am thankful for:

1. Not owning a VW
  2. Not working on cars for a living.
  3. Sorry for any of you that part take in either of those

1. 25358443_10156001697726664_8833663030353800112_o.jpg?oh=38a1de81126cd100abf87aabb610cb0a&oe=5ABB0B83

What the flyin?!

The only scenario where this makes sense is if the GTi is wrecked and the Jetta has a bad engine and both cars were acquired on the cheap.

Today sitting in traffic while swaddled in the rich faux leather of my infiniti I was absolutely bombarded with rotten egg smell from a catalytic convertor. Ho lee jeez.

This was like 12 rancid egg mcmuffin’s worth of flatulence. It was so bad that I gagged and had to roll the window down.

Traffic started to move and I turned left. The smell dissipated but I couldn’t figure out if the smell was from my car or from one of the other cars in traffic.

I had replaced one o2 sensor in august but could not get at the other one

I got home and started working on replacing the other sensor. Surprise! It was awful, just like my previous failed attempt.

I finally succeeded after what has to be my biggest automotive repair pet-peeve (besides rust) which is the sensor wire screwing up your every move.

You get the sensor loose, but you can only get 1/8th of a turn with a wrench or by hand before having to reposition your hand/ the wrench. Oh! But guess what happens when you remove your hand/wrench to reposition it!?!? The sensor wire acts like a spring and rotates the sensor back to the position it was in before.

When you finally manage to withstand the pain to contort your hands against sharp corners hard enough to get the sensor out, you get to face the same fun with the install. [emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361]

11 hours ago, Snap said:

I finally succeeded after what has to be my biggest automotive repair pet-peeve (besides rust) which is the sensor wire screwing up your every move.

That's the worst... My new go to is, if I have a replacement already, to cut the wire once its loose so I only have to deal with it on the way back in

11 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

When i've run into this I either unplug the sensor or cut the wire.  This is more frustrating to me when i'm trying to install a sensor.  Then I'll either keep it unplugged or preload the wires so they are unloading in the direction I want to turn the sensor.

11 hours ago, Snap said:

I thought I invented the preload trick!!!

In a truly circular universe where time is a complete continuum and one could take a shortcut through said continuum, we would all in fact know about the pre-load loading theory. However, Pat and Snap are clearly from the future, and much wiser than any of us mere mortals. Just kidding of course, we all know that Al Gore invented the preload trick. Afterall, he invented the Internet. One smart cookie.