WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Finally took some pictures of the test fixture that I built for work. Too bad my phone was being a potato.

It's for testing a 6-up array of LED lighting boards. It's a basic functional test; just put 12v on it and make sure it lights up. Previously we were manually sticking meter leads in the connector on each board while holding a welding face mask over it so you didn't get blinded. This should be an improvement.

14hzvnN.png

it3kCN4.png

04Tqrtm.png

VkVz0Jq.png

iDTGBZp.png

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought an '04 Sienna van with a bad transmission.  It had been power flushed and that caused a plugged filter about 1000 miles later.  It was a good price due to being broken.  I towed it home and changed the filter and fluid, that got rid of the cavitating pump noise and it drives but the shifting is poor, harsh 1-2, weak 2-3, then 3-4-5 works ok.  

Last night I pulled the valve body to disassemble and clean it, I am going to try that first, if it still doesn't work I'm not out anything.  Most likely I will be hunting for a U151F transmission.

I didn't get any pictures because my phone died but yikes there are a lot of small passages and valves in the valve body.  It's like black magic going on in there, several spools seemed sticky so I have a small amount of hope that it might solve my problems to clean it all carefully.

I use the Castrol Transmax Multi-Import fluid in my 06. It made 0 difference in anything since it appeared to have been serviced recently before I bought it.

Vacuuming out all the crackers and french fries was equally beneficial for shifting performance

This is more like undriveable bad shifting.  The 06 and newer on has the same transmission but uses Toyota "WS" fluid rather than 04-05 uses "TI-V" the programming is different I think to match the lighter viscosity fluid.  I usually use Redline synthetic, the TI-V compatible fluid is their D4, they would recommend D6 for newer vehicles that require "WS" fluid.

I will be adding some Lucas tranny doctor to this one for good luck...

Fun fact, this '04 is an XLE Limited and has radar following cruise control, I doubt it works anymore but I did not know the was an option so long ago.

11 minutes ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

In 2004 they had adaptive cruise control, but it was $$$ option. Getting to be standard equip nowadays...

I'm almost 100% sure you'll be looking for a new tranny.

How many miles on it?

172k.  I'm sure it's toast but I like taking stuff apart and i'm not out anything but an evenings work if it still doesn't work.

17 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

172k.  I'm sure it's toast but I like taking stuff apart and i'm not out anything but an evenings work if it still doesn't work.

It is definitely fun taking stuff apart. Like when I changed the starter motor in my 335. What a PITA!  I curse that one bolt in the back of the motor! Three inches from the firewall. WTF, BMW?!?! But I got it all back together and believe it or not, it works!

12 minutes ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

It is definitely fun taking stuff apart. Like when I changed the starter motor in my 335. What a PITA!  I curse that one bolt in the back of the motor! Three inches from the firewall. WTF, BMW?!?! But I got it all back together and believe it or not, it works!

A flex head wrench is the key there.  

I'm trying to get our hardwood floors refinished but for whatever fucking reason getting someone to show up and give me quotes is like pulling fucking teeth.  It shouldn't be this hard to spend money.

It always seems to happen when you want something done you can't give your money away nor will people show up if you try to give them extra money

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

It always seems to happen when you want something done you can't give your money away nor will people show up if you try to give them extra money

I'll take any extra money you have laying around...

Hardwood floors should be a DIY. You'll save a lot of money and learn a new trade. That's why I put my own tile floor in my basement. OK, it was a PITA, but I learned a trade and also learned why I don't do that trade for a living...

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I've got no issue diy'ing stuff but our hardwoods are 100+ years old so i'd like to not fuck them up.  That and my August/September is packed between work and 4 weddings.  One guy did get back text me after I sent him pictures.  $3 per sq ft to refinish the floor and it's about 500sq/ft.

That's actually not a bad price.